Clear all

Do you use a Compressor?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just curious how many of you are using a compressor pedal, and if you do, how often, and to what degree of effect (e.g., super squishy, subtle limiting, etc.)

I have a BBE Opto Stomp that was on my bass board, but I switched to a multi-fx unit (Boss ME50B) with several usable compressor settings, so I set the BBE aside. Wondering if I should hook it up to my guitar pedals ... I've been told many people use a compressor after (or is it before?) a wah, but I don't know why.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

if it is an autowah (or any type of envelope filter/follower), the compressor goes after, as removing dynamics compromises the very parameter that drives the effect. on a regular (manual) wah it probably has pros/cons both before and after. that's a YMMV situation.

I have a T-Rex Comp Nova. I use it for some slide playing, as well as lapsteel. it also seems to be nice for some bass. for "regular" guitar, I prefer to have a lot of dynamic control from my hands, so rarely in that case.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

just remembered -- there is one "regular" guitar app of compression that I've been meaning to try: chickin' pickin' on a Tele. supposedly, a comp makes chickin' pickin' really pop.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

just remembered -- there is one "regular" guitar app of compression that I've been meaning to try: chickin' pickin' on a Tele. supposedly, a comp makes chickin' pickin' really pop.

Do you have to set the attack time long and release time short to get that? Almost using it the reverse as intended?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

as I understand it, Dan, still in the normal fashion (shortish attack + longer release), not reverse. the idea is that the muted or choked parts of the notes are usually at a much lower level as compared to the hard attack, but the compressor levels them somewhat to make the choking pop out at a level that is closer the that of the attack. that adds to the immediacy or "organic" feel. so even tho compressed, the ear finds it all a bit more "lively."

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I have 2 compressors, and of course will be looking for a picture of them, later when there's time. :lol:

One of mine's an early 80's Ibanez, the "red box", CP-9 or something-or-other. It was great, fantastic IMO, yet it resides somewhere in a cardboard box till after I'm gone? :shock:

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/ibanez/9/cp9

The other is an earlier version, probably 70's. I thought I needed both to compare, the earlier one was more refined and was "attack sensitive" while the later, still classic one was not. Attack sensitive meant it responded to what your picking hand was doing. You had some control over it right from your own body. Oops, the later one with attack adjustment was considered an improvement, over the hear-how-you-play feature/response. Kind of like comparing automatic to standard shift in a car.

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/ibanez/808/cp835

As for the use, it was all an experiment really, just to learn about these things, I guess I didn't really require them. I put the compressor last in line, or closest to the amp. I loved the "punch".

Yes, I'd call it "immediacy". Super quick, lightning flash attack, followed by a degree of sustain, while the notes themselves seemed tighter, compressed (there's a reason for that word if you look at sound graphs), sometimes darker, yet brighter and absolutely lively and louder.

Actually, I put them away when the BBE Sonic Stomp became the latest, talked-about toy, and certified, unique & patented "must have". So, I got that, and it sparkles and EXPANDS (is that shouting?) the sound of any note so unbelievably, I can't describe it, other than to say it is "fullness".

And with the Sonic Stomp, you ask yourself "What is this I am hearing - I didn't know that tone was capable of being this good!" And "Is this sound REALLY happening?" I don't think it is like putting your guitar on steroids, probably more of an LSD-type mind bending experience. :mrgreen:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies.

Gnease, that's a very good point about putting autowah/filter effects before. Also the chicken pickin' example is a very good one.

The other example I thought of was Roger McGuinn's super-compressed Byrds guitar sound, and I've wondered if the classic jangle was mostly from the 12-string Rickenbacker, the compression, or his banjo fingerpicks ... most likely a combination of the three.

Blue Jay, yeah I have a couple BBE sonic maximizers, including an older rackmount version and the DI box version which is very handy. I guess there's some compression going on in there along with the other voodoo magic, but overall I think of that as very different from a compressor effect. (In fact, the Opto Stomp and Sonic Stomp can be used together, according to the instructions.)

Well, thanks again. I'm probably going to put the Opto Stomp aside for now, or maybe try it with my acoustic guitar when plugged in.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I don't have a compressor box pedal but I use that effect when I play my bass. I use one of the compressor emulations in the Korg Pandora (usually the compressor #1) and also I use the compressor in my amp (Marshall): the Pandora when recording or playing through headphones and the amp otherwise. Sometimes I turn the effect off but I like the result that I get in the Pandora (I think it is something more that a compression...).

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I have one, it's a cheap one, I don't use it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote