Notifications
Clear all

This is driving me crazy! please help!

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ang-singha)
Topic starter  

I currently have issues with my boss DD3 delay pedal. The delay sounds like it is distorted and appears as if there's multiple delay turned on at the same time.

The strange thing is that I have no problem with it when I use it in the effects loop of my Marshall amp. I also have no issues with the delay pedal when using the clean channel. So the problem with the delay pedal is when I'm using a lead channel from my Marshall or my practice amp (vox30). Here is how my pedal looks:

Amp – BBE – RC2 Looper – DD3 delay – Chorus – Phase 90 –NS2 noise suppressor – Wah – tuner – Guitar

I'm utilizing the send/return loop in the NS2 pedal from above, and the following pedal are in its loop:

Return - EQ – Saturator (distortion) – Fulltone OCD – Compresser sustainer – Send

My set up sounds great, but it's just the Boss DD3 delay pedal that is giving me a head ache! Since it's working on clean channel and in the effects loop, the pedal is not a defect. I tried it alone between guitar and amp, and it still sounds layered (bad delay, delays incorrectly, etc.) when the distortion is on.

If anyone out there that could offer a suggestion or opinions on how to solve this issue, I would really appreciate it greatly! Thank you in advance!

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

replace the battery . always my first action.
this is too obvious so I have to assume the pedal is dying. broken chip inside.
sorry, I doubt I am helping.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

For me, you're doing it backwards.
Between guitar and amp, you should have all the distortion pedals - BBE, Saturator, OCD, Compressor plus the noise suppressor.
In the effects loop, you should have the time modifiers - Chorus, delay, phaser.

Wah is a bit of trial and error, where you like it best.
Tuner should be straight after the guitar, you don't want distorted signals going into the tuner.
EQ is, again, trial and error, where you think it fits best. Mind you, you can't have enough EQs in your chain.
I would put the looper directly before the return from the effects loop, unless you want the stored loops to be "effected".

Putting, e.g. echo on a distorted signal is one thing, putting distortion on an echoed signal is another.

Oh, and make sure your batteries are all OK.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ang-singha)
Topic starter  

Greybeard,

Thank you for your reply.

The order currently being used right now is actually taken from BOSS website it self. The way I've written it may have confused a few people here. Basically I have my guitar going into my tuner, wah, dist/overdrive, effects, looper, then BBE. To cut down the noise I place my noisy pedals like dist/overdrive, compressor, and eq in the loop of the boss NS2.

Given that I'm using the TRADITIONAL ordering of the pedals to have them sound optimal (and not to an individual taste), my boss delay pedal is still having problems.

So earlier I isolated the boss dd3 delay all by itself and i did guitar > delay > amp. It works fine on clean, but once the amp is distorted, the delay gets blurry and unusable. I'm starting to think it's a defect even though it works fine on clean channel and in the effects loop.

Before I trash my delay pedal, anyone else have a suggestion?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The order currently being used right now is actually taken from BOSS website it self.

Try these:
http://www.gmarts.org/fx-order.php
http://guitarpedalboard.tumblr.com/post/34810459/order-order
http://www.bossus.com/boss_users_group/article.php?ArticleId=39
So earlier I isolated the boss dd3 delay all by itself and i did guitar > delay > amp. It works fine on clean, but once the amp is distorted, the delay gets blurry and unusable.
Putting, e.g. echo on a distorted signal is one thing, putting distortion on an echoed signal is another.Distortion first, echo second.
Sorry, I understood, from you first post, that you were using an effects loop in the amp.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Put the delay as the very last effect in the chain, so the output of the delay goes into the amp. A noise gate doesn't play well with delay, and should be in the chain previous to any time-based effects (chorus, flange, delay)

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@steebass)

Ang Singha, did you get this resolved?
I've had the same issue with the DD3...it works fine with clean tones, but the noise is extreme when I use any kind of gain.
My setup is using the DD3 in the effects loop...and is last in line. I also have a BBE unit in the loop in front of the DD3, and I'm wondering if that's what the problem is.
I assumed it was a bad unit, bought another DD3, and the issue still remains. (The good news is that I have two setups and the 2nd delay will definitely be used)
I'm currently researching the issue and found this post, and was hoping you might have some helpful tips.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Ang Singha, did you get this resolved?
I've had the same issue with the DD3...it works fine with clean tones, but the noise is extreme when I use any kind of gain.
My setup is using the DD3 in the effects loop...and is last in line. I also have a BBE unit in the loop in front of the DD3, and I'm wondering if that's what the problem is.
I assumed it was a bad unit, bought another DD3, and the issue still remains. (The good news is that I have two setups and the 2nd delay will definitely be used)
I'm currently researching the issue and found this post, and was hoping you might have some helpful tips.

Thanks

Time based FX need to be the Very LAST thing in a chain. AFTER ANY AND ALL DISTORTION OR OVERDRIVE INCLUDING AMP OVERDRIVE.

If you MUST have a delayed AND distorted sound, and your amp has an FX loop, put time based FX there. if your amp doesn't have an FX loop, run the amp clean and use pedals for the distortion, and have the output of the delay go directly into the amp. Sending delayed signals into overdrive or distortion will sound like poo.

If you use a noise gate, put it BEFORE the delay, otherwise you gate off the echos.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

A noise gate doesn't play well with delay, and should be in the chain previous to any time-based effects (chorus, flange, delay)
Amen! I have the NS2 and if I put it before the noise supressor it supresses the echos so you don't hear them. Makes the effect go away.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote