Clear all

Guitar Effects Question

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@boxheadhappypill)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So, I've been playing for a while but I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to using an effects chain because of the style of music I used to play in my old band was very simple, tone wise (stones, faces type stuff).... I've been playing in this new band for about a year and I STILL am having trouble dialing in a great tone to compliment our style of music... it's indie rock/shoegaze/post-rock, dream pop in the style of bands like the appleseed cast, radiohead, sigur ros, the cure, blonde redhead, etc...

Currently my set up is as follows:

Tele > TU tuner > Fulltone OCD > Tube Screamer > Boss RE 20 (space echo) > Boss DD 20 > Amp (bassman clone)

I have some issues with the ocd because no matter how I set it with guitar volume or the pedal itself, when it over drives the signal, it sounds too crunchy, muddy and or early 70's and I'm not looking for that... I want the chimey, each note ringing out but breaking up nicely in a shimmery kind of sound heard in songs like appleseed cast's "Hello Dearest Love" or radioheads: "Electioneering", "Paranoid Android" and "2+2 = 5".... to the warm/syrupy kind of tones found on Muse's "The Small Print", and the chorus to "Hysteria" and "Time is Running Out" somewhat broad and I don't expect anyone to dig up all these songs and see what I'm getting at but it's the vibe I'm going for. Epic sounding stuff... somewhat progressive... oh and we're a five peice, guitar, bass, drums, vocals, keyboard.... ANY help would be soooo appreciated... because I'm lost....

:lol:

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

don't know those songs...but a chorus pedal could shimmer your sound.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If your amp has an effects loop, I'd move the space echo and the dd20 onto it and leave just the OCD and the Tubescreamer pre-preamp.

If you don't have an fx loop, keep the amp clean and use the pedals for effects.

You might try swapping the OCD and the tubescreamer.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I don't know those songs either but according to your description you could get that tone just with the OCD. Are you using the OCD for pushing the TS? Or do you use the OCD or the TS?

Try to use the OCD in the LP mode, set the drive very low and use its volume for pushing your amp. With the HP mode you also can get very cool tones, similar to Marshall amps.

ReplyQuote
(@boxheadhappypill)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I don't know those songs either but according to your description you could get that tone just with the OCD. Are you using the OCD for pushing the TS? Or do you use the OCD or the TS?

Try to use the OCD in the LP mode, set the drive very low and use its volume for pushing your amp. With the HP mode you also can get very cool tones, similar to Marshall amps.
I'm using the TS to push the OCD and sometimes using either or individually. The OCD I used HP mode almost exclusively and I switched to LP recently, the difference is in the warmth in my opinion.... I have just set the OCD at about 7 o'clock and the TS at about 2 o'clock and it seems to be working out better on my home (practice) amp... I have rehearsal tonight and I will see how it pans out... I also set the RE 20 to Reverb only and messed with the reverb's intensity a little bit and seems to be giving it a nice little beatle-esg chime, but I have to try it on my gigging amp tonight to see how it all fits together...

Unfortunately my amp doesn't have an effects loop... it simply has two inputs for "Bright" (which is what I use) and two inputs for "Normal". I haven't experimented to see if I could use (I might look ignorant here) the two inputs as an effects loop.. and place the TS and OCD on one and the DD 20 and RE 20 on the other.... is this something that's possible?

thanks for the help! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

A good EQ pedal will tighten up the tone. Place it right after your overdrive pedals and eq it with the pedals on. Makes a tremendous difference, can really take the mud out of a bad tone. I find that the frequency 200 Hz (the second slider from the left on almost all 7 band EQ pedals) is the problem frequency. I will usually cut it about 10 decibels. I will boost 100 Hz (first slider)about 3 decibels to get big, full, bottom end, I will cut 400 Hz (third slider) about 5 decibels. Now, these are settings I personally like, but I get great chord definition with all of my overdrive pedals. No mush at all.

To get a chimey type tone, probably need to cut the Mids (800Hz, 1.6KHz) a little and boost 3.2KHz and 6.4KHz a little.

With a little experimentation you can get just about any tone you want, an EQ is one of the most useful pedals you can own.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@boxheadhappypill)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

A good EQ pedal will tighten up the tone. Place it right after your overdrive pedals and eq it with the pedals on. Makes a tremendous difference, can really take the mud out of a bad tone. I find that the frequency 200 Hz (the second slider from the left on almost all 7 band EQ pedals) is the problem frequency. I will usually cut it about 10 decibels. I will boost 100 Hz (first slider)about 3 decibels to get big, full, bottom end, I will cut 400 Hz (third slider) about 5 decibels. Now, these are settings I personally like, but I get great chord definition with all of my overdrive pedals. No mush at all.

To get a chimey type tone, probably need to cut the Mids (800Hz, 1.6KHz) a little and boost 3.2KHz and 6.4KHz a little.

With a little experimentation you can get just about any tone you want, an EQ is one of the most useful pedals you can own.

Thanks! I've had in the brain to get an EQ, just never laid down the cash to buy one. I'm going to look in to it and probably do so.... :)

ReplyQuote