Clear all

Mod TS-9

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@billyboy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Not knowing much about pedals (but learning), came across a TS-9 that had been modded to original TS808 specs.

- The TA5578P chip was replaced with a vintage JRC4458D chip from the early 80's.
- The 100K and 470 ohm resistors were both replaced with 10k and 100 ohm resistors to match the 808.

From what I've read, this is now an 'orginal' TS808 for all intents and purposes? Friggan thing sounds great. And it's less than a current TS808 reissue. And much less than a vintage 808 (don't they go for about $300+ ? )

Should I go for it? :roll:

"In my dreams your blowin' me... some kisses" - Lets Duet - Dewford Randolph Cox

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I don't know the prices range that your are thinking but currently there are lots of TS808 clones. Practically each brand has its own TS808 implementation based on that IC with small differences in the tone, drive, etc.

Depending on you are looking for one of those 'clones' could sound even better than a TS808 vintage and surely it will be cheaper.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Maybe the Maxon VOP9 or one of the other Maxon Pedals.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

How much does the modded TS-9 cost? Musiciansfriend is selling the TS-9 for about $100. If the modded TS-9 is much more expensive then I would think about it, it really wouldn't be difficult to do the modifications yourself to a new TS-9 if you can solder decently and have a bit of experience with electronics (or know someone who does).

The total cost for the parts (resistors and the chip) would be under 5 bucks, at the most (not including shipping), the JRC4558D chip can be bought here:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=213

I've bought alot of parts from this website and I can't recommend them enough if you modify or build pedals.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@billyboy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

How much does the modded TS-9 cost? Musiciansfriend is selling the TS-9 for about $100. If the modded TS-9 is much more expensive then I would think about it, it really wouldn't be difficult to do the modifications yourself to a new TS-9 if you can solder decently and have a bit of experience with electronics (or know someone who does).

The total cost for the parts (resistors and the chip) would be under 5 bucks, at the most (not including shipping), the JRC4558D chip can be bought here:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=213

I've bought alot of parts from this website and I can't recommend them enough if you modify or build pedals.

My assumption was - the fact he put an original JRC4458D from the early 80's somehow makes this pedal special or 'vintage'?

Price is $150. Guitar Center has the TS808 re-issue for $169. Hence my interest if it has the 'original' chip and costs less?

Thanks for the responses all..

"In my dreams your blowin' me... some kisses" - Lets Duet - Dewford Randolph Cox

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have had analogman mod my tubescreamer trubo. a most excellent improvement.
the mod that you are looking at is also a great mod. you'll sound like Cream with a click.
the mod loosens up the drive. courser gravel in the dirt.
that's my memory.
my mod cost 80$. the pedal was two years old and cost 129 or something?
I love the tubescreamers. the mods make em better.
check out analog mike's site and get it from the horses mouth.

analogman.com

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

My assumption was - the fact he put an original JRC4458D from the early 80's somehow makes this pedal special or 'vintage'?

Price is $150. Guitar Center has the TS808 re-issue for $169. Hence my interest if it has the 'original' chip and costs less?

Thanks for the responses all..

My only concern would be that whether or not that chip is actually an original JRC4458 or if it is one of the reissues of that same chip. That being said, I've read that most people say that the original chips and the remakes sound pretty much the same. Honestly, if you aren't a DIY type person then $150 for the pedal sounds like a pretty decent deal to me.

Also, if you like the sound of the pedal then that's the most important part.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@billyboy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Analogman.com offers two options for powersupplies on most of his pedals. 9V and 12V. Do the pedals support both, or does he have to mod the pedal to support either? And I've seen it mentioned a few times on Youtube demos about using either 9V or 12V to power pedals.

Why would you choose 9V vs. 12V ?

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I have no idea why the 12V supply would be included, both the TS-9 and TS-808 uses a 9V supply. I would be weary about using a 12V supply since using a supply that is rated higher than the pedal is designed for could cause some problems (even blown components).

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm... that confused me a little as well, so I went to the site and found this:

For a clearer, purer sound you can try running the TS9/808 pedal at higher voltage, up to 16 Volts is safe. It may not be as warm sounding but some people prefer the higher voltage. It will give the pedal a little more output and headroom, more output before it clips and compresses. We sell a new 12V DC adaptor now, it sounds awesome with the silver mod and our chorus and compressor pedals (and many other pedals too). You can also use the Voodoo Labs Pedalpower2 which has options for 12V (outputs 1-4) or 16V (outputs 5 and 6).

OK, Analog Man says their pedals will operate up to 16 volts safely, and this will give the pedal headroom. Headroom simply means you get more volume before the pedal begins to overdrive or distort. So you have to ask yourself if you want this pedal to act more as a clean boost, or if you want to use it as an overdrive pedal.

If you use the pedal as a clean boost, it will simply boost the volume. I am sure it thickens the tone some as well. This can be good for solos. But if you want a grittier tone with breakup, then you would want to use the standard 9 volt battery or power supply.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote