Notifications
Clear all

How do i get a saxaphone sound from my guitar without midi

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@monkey2)
Topic starter  

I have a Gibson Les Paul BFG, A Marshall MG100 DFX half stack, And a Zoom G7.1ut effects pedal. I need to know how to acheive the perfect saxaphone sound for the song, Dancing in the moonlight by Thinlizzy. It would be much appreiciated if anybody could help me.

(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member

I have a Gibson Les Paul BFG, A Marshall MG100 DFX half stack, And a Zoom G7.1ut effects pedal. I need to know how to acheive the perfect saxaphone sound for the song, Dancing in the moonlight by Thinlizzy. It would be much appreiciated if anybody could help me.

??? Are you wanting to get your guitar to sound like a saxophone?? There are some guitar synth VST's available, no midi required. They synthesize the audio input...

Why do we have to get old...

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Without using MIDI it's not going to be easy to make any instrument sound like another.

However, if you really want to put in the time and effort trying to get close...
You're shooting for a waveform something like this:

**warning idle speculation beyond this point**

To me, I'd start with clean high gain (maybe a tube amp that's not biased exactly right --to make the positive peaks higher than the negative ones), and then some way to partially attenuate every second peak of the sine wave.
I dunno how you might do that.

Can octave pedal create lower octaves?
Maybe try that and then phase invert it and mix with the original signal to partially cancel your original signal?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Without Midi?

If you take the Gibson in your left hand, grab a stand with your right, put the guitar in the stand, pick up a saxaphone, that will give you a perfect sax sound.

Nothing else is going to give you perfect. Even midi will only give you a close approximation. You've got things like breath, attack, delay, you are plucking strings on one and blowing in the other to think about. Think of a harpsichord vs a piano, or a violin vs a guitar although they are similar instruments they sound completely different . Sax and guitar are completely different instruments, getting them to sound similar will be a trick.

Why get them to sound the same? If you can get the notes down, it will work.

Just an idea, but if you have a harmonica that might give you a a better approximation, if not that try mic'ing your guitar through a bullet mic.

ReplyQuote
(@monkey2)
Topic starter  

i'v seen the Roland GR20, and it sounds fantastic but just wondered if anyone knew of a cheaper synth pedal that will give me the same sounds ?

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Try an eBow.

http://www.ebow.com/home.php

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'd say that's the best suggestion yet.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@monkey2)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help and suggestions, i'm gonna purchase an Ebow and give that a wurl.

Cheers

ReplyQuote