5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
10.8 K Views
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
does anybody know if Zoom have made a replacement for their 508 pedal that had the Geoff Strachan patches for "The Shadows/Hank Marvin" built in.
I've looked at a few secondhand 508's but as they are getting quite rare now, they are also getting quite expensive. I have no idea wheather there is a substitute by another brand as good.
If you have ever logged onto http://goran.tangring.com/ and listened to his covers of the Shadows famous tracks you will hear how spot on the Zoom 508 is.
Any help in finding a substitute (or maybe you have one you are willing to sell) will be muched appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod. :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Good question Rod. I hope that somebody in the entire World has the answer.

I've looked and looked myself, and have come up short-handed on my own. The Zoom site and their distributor seem to avoid facing the issue.

I thoroughly enoy the Hank Marvin and the Shadows sounds and tunes, their Strats, their legwork??? - no, really I just love their vibe and believe it should continue to be emulated by us.

I like your link - now that's a dedicated group. They should have the answer before anybody else, since they are the independendent, researchers, and copiers or emulators - almost like the real thing, or a club? :D

I have gathered that you need these features to get set up as is shown on an obscure site:

508 Multi-Effects Delay Pedal Specifications
Specifications of the 508 Multi-Effects Delay Pedal

• Effects: 8 types (4 type x 2 variations); Monaural Delay, Pingpong Delay, Monaural Twin Delay, Stereo Twin Delay, Monaural Echo, Stereo Echo, Multi 4 Tap Delay, Multi 6 Tap delay
• Special Functions: Seamless patch change, delay time, tap set, hold delay
• Banks and Patches: 6 banks x 4 patches = 24 patches (edit + store possible)
• A/D Converter: 18-bit, 128x oversampling
• D/A Converter: 16-bit, linear
• Sampling Frequency: 31.25 kHz
• Input: Guitar Input (standard mono ¼ in. jack)
• Rated Input Level: -20 dBm
• Input Impedance: 470 kohms
• Combined Line/Headphone Output: Standard stereo ¼ in.
• Maximum Output Level: +6 dBm
• Output Impedance: 10 kohms or more
• Control Input: For optional FP01 or FS01
• Display: 2-digit, 7-segment LED beacon, tuning indicator, parameter cursor indicator
• Power Requirements: 9-volt battery or optional AC adapter
• Dimensions: 147 W x 157 D x 48 H mm
• Weight (without battery): 480 g

Next, the bad news, or the question, where do you get these features now? Right here, Samson confirms the discontinued product, but we all know that, along with the thousands of other players who miss it or want to propagate it. http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1622&brandID=4

The best I can see in their (ZOOM) lineup is the G7.1uT or actually the G9.2tt which adds another 40 presets to the previous one's 80, for a total of 120, but I fail to see where the actual DELAY types are capitalized upon in these or any other brand/comparison and competitor for now. http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1876&brandID=4

BTW, this may be something, ZOOM's own site, not Samson's, says that with the G2.1u you lose nothing. But I can't see where they specify 8 different types of delay. Here's Samson's workup:
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1854&brandID=4

Holy smokes, it ain't easy. Of course I would just try to get a 508 used before the prices go up more. However, it would also be better if someone just answered your question instead of researching and ending up with nearly the same question, after failing to find a direct replacement. I don't think there is one. :shock:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Hank Marvin used the Alesis Q2 with Charlie Hall's "Echoes from the past" patches in his touring rig. He has gone over to the TVS3, which is apparently the non plus ultra for Shadows ' sounds (but at $4000, not for every pocket).

The same set of patches are available for the Alesis Q20 - sadly both the Q2 and the Q20 have been discontinued, but can be found on Ebay.

I've just come across a page, which reckons that there are patches available for the Yamaha Magic Stomp and the G3.

Re CHARLIE HALL

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your efforts guys,

It looks as though the Yamaha Magicstomp has a few patches built in for these tunes "Apache" "Kontiki" "Wonderfull land" and "Sleepwalk".

But I really didn't want another multi effects unit / amp simulator like this and the G3 or any of the zoom G9 / G7's

I'm going to music shop tomorrow and have a look at the Boss digi-delay pedals they have and see what they are like.
Hey and who knows they may have a 508 at the back of a dusty shelf :wink: :wink: :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Sure, I think you could do a lot Rodders, with your own digi delay adjustments.

I also went to that Rickenbacker forum and read, thought and digested quite a bit of stuff. Sort of joined too. :oops:

Well, I hope you get what you're looking for, and depending on how serious, I'd probably want the original Zoom 508, used but not abused. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote