Clear all

Looping help?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have Boss RC-2 looping pedal, which I bought to use live so that I can add solos to some acoustic songs. In terms of sound, this unit is great! :D No problems here.

But in terms of function, I'm having a very hard time figuring out how to work this thing! :evil:

Here's the problem: I want to use this unit ONLY for recording verse chords so that the next time the verse comes around I can solo instead of sing. I don't want to overdub, I don't want to store phrases, I don't want to use drum tracks. Simple, right? Not so much.

First, this unit is set up to begin playback immediately after recording a sequence. So I can't record verse chords, then shut the thing off while I play/sing the chorus, and then play back the phrase after the chorus. I work around this problem by recording verse and chorus chords and singing over the loop when the chorus comes back. Not ideal, but workable.

Second, and more troubling, you can't erase a loop without playing the loop out loud for 3 or 4 seconds. As you may imagine, this doesn't work very well on stage! The only alternative is to bend down to move the knob to the next loop slot after every song.

If anyone uses this pedal and has any advice, I'd really appreciate hearing it. If not, do any of you use looping pedals that can do a simple stop/start and still produce good sound?

Thanks!

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

sorry i can't offer advice on a workaround.
i shopped this and a few other models before deciding on the digitech jamman.
it's not perfect either but does the things you were describing pretty easily and with a footswitch it is pretty seamless and simple to use.
now i am learning the ropes on my echoplex, it's like the jamman on steroids +100
looping is so fun, i hope you can make it work for you.

loopers-delight.com may have some threads that offer some ideas .
i would check that out as well.
good luck

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@aleholder)
Trusted Member

Did you try recording with the one-shot setting on?

I was curious how it worked so I went and read the manual. See page 27. It said that you can only have the one-shot setting on for saved phrases, not in the temp memory. I think if you pre-record your phrase and play it the first time and use the saved one shot for when you want to solo, you'll get what you are looking for.

Also, on page 28 and 29, if you add an external pedal, you can advance to the next phrase without having to bend down to switch the knob.

Hope this helps. :note2:

ReplyQuote