Monster Cables

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 ss43
(@ss43)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I love these cables but have a problem. I guess because of their design they want to coil up and twist especially when walking around while playing. Is there a cable available that is at least the same quality that is not as bad about grabbing ankles?

(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

all straight cables do that to some extent, especially uncoated ones. Cloth wrapped cables are a little better but not much. I expect you'll have to do the usual thing, and practice maneuvering around them; it becomes second nature after a while, once you get some stage experience you won't even realize you're dancing around cables. It can be frustrating but hang in there.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Why not get a coiled cable? It doesn't make a mess on the floor, nothing gets tangled, and you get to look uber cool.

[link removed]

ReplyQuote
 ss43
(@ss43)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Evidently my question wasn't very clear, as usual for me. What I want to know is, what brand of cables are available that have the same quality aspects as Monster cables with respect to ruggedness, sound/tone/signal quality, and are not prone to pick up static or other unwanted interference (quiet)? Of course I don't know if one could beat the Monster's return policy. Other cables I have used in the past especially the cloth covered ones did not twist up near as bad as the Monster cables do but were not near as quiet. I don't want to go play the lottery on equipment if I don't have to. Monster Cables do not seem to be like other straight cables in that something in their internal design lends itself to want to easily coil/twist.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bullet-Cables-BC25CC-Coiled-Instrument-Cable?sku=330070

These look very rugged, reliable. And of course if someone steps on your cable and you take that extra step, it won't rip out of your guitar.

Cost a lot though. Might be worth it though.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Yeah I've read good things about those Bullet cables... I might get a red or white one one of these days. Man they look cool.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Let Butch make some for you:
http://www.bayoucables.com/store/catalog/

He uses Canare and Mogami cable, G&H and Neutrik connectors. And his prices are very reasonable.

Better than Monster, imho.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

Call me a fossil, but after years of gigging, I use ProCo Lifelines. They seem to have the best overall qualities. Others may be better in one area or another, but overall, ProCo's are hard to beat, and they're consistent, which I've found is not true of many other brands. They use good high-quality Belden cable and Switchcraft connectors. I actually worked at ProCo back in the '80s around the time of the introduction of the Rat II with the silk-screen plastic adhesive overlay. I worked on the Rat line.

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote