Notifications
Clear all

MXR Phasers (think they have enough?) Script models

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@t-bone)
Topic starter  

I just bought the wrong phase pedal, mostly due to lack of enough prior research, but their line (MXR) of similar pedals didn't help the matter.

I go more towards vintage style/analog effects, guitars and tube amps. Lots of reissues. I'd decided with several other pedals I was getting, I should just get a full pedal set up and be (mostly) done with it.

Back in "the day" (1970's), I had an MXR Phase 45 (was about the only pedal I had). As I now understand it, a not real common pedal, and a very cool sounding unit. Sold back then intending to get a Phase 90, but quit playing before I got around to that. I recall thinking I needed a slightly more extreme pedal (was into a way heavier sound back then too).

Fast forward, deciding I needed a Phaser with my new pedal array, I researched a bit on the 'net, caught some shoot outs on You Tube, and checked some online sellers (GC, etc.). Seeing the hand wired script Phase 90 reissue, I figured that was the one. Trouble is, I missed the model number, and the fact that there are essentially 3 script model Phase 90's (one Custom Shop reissue CSP 101SL with a light, the same model without a light, the CSP 101S, and the hand wired 1974 reissue model CSP 026).

So I ordered the wrong one (bought new on eBay, often a good deal, in this case not so much, just average).

Looks like I'll end up with two (Script Phase 90 with light, and one other). But now I'm torn. I just spotted a hand wired Custom Shop limited edition Phase 45 1975 reissue. That's what I originally had, and the sound sampling I've heard on MXR's website is great. Having just spoken to them, that model (CSP 105) is not out yet (target of June 10th I think they said), but the sound byte on their site sounds really good.

I've heard a shoot out between the block logo and Script logo 101 on You Tube, and that's what led me to purchase the script logo (wish he'd mentioned the other). Then I searched and found a shoot out between the hand wired CSP 026 and the CSP 101LS, and that convinced me I'd bought the wrong one (it's not even here yet! :oops: ). SO now, I just need to decide... will I just buy the Phase 90 CSP 026, or wait until the CSP 125 (Phase 45) is out, and look for a comparison of those? Maybe I should just get the 026 now, pick up a 125 when out, and do a comparison of the three myself? :twisted:

Who here has any of the above, and what do you think of them?

"If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music".
Keith Richards

(@t-bone)
Topic starter  

Well, I went ahead and ordered a '74 Reissue Phase 90 (sounds just awesome!), and as luck would have it, the CSP 101SL pictured in the ad arrived as a CSP 101S (no LED). Since the item sent wasn't as shown in the ad, the Seller is taking it back, and even sending a return shipping label. So I ended up with the correct one after all. Still might pick up that Phase 45 reissue when it comes out though!

"If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music".
Keith Richards

ReplyQuote