Noise in my effects loop...

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@grant_brown)
Topic starter  

Hi all,

Firstly, hello! How is everyone?
Secondly, i hope this is the right area.

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for setting up my effects loop. Ive been using 2 x 150W randall warhead solid state amps and generally use only a few effects - a boss chorus, mxr KFK 10 band EQ and a digitech delay pedal. I then run a whammy pedal and crybaby from hell straight into my 2 amps with a boss harmonist (simply for the 2 outputs, so i can wah/dive on both amps). When i try to use my effects loop, i then use a rocktron super C hush silencer unit.

The trouble i'm having is that when i run all these straight into my amp, i get very little noise, but when i run the modulators in the effects loop, using the rocktron silencer, i get more noise (i have to dial in the gate so hard to cut it, which makes my tone fuzzy and die quicker). To me, this seems odd, as generally you hear people having the problem the other way around...

Obviously, you could say "just run them straight in then", but i'd prefer to try some new setups - i'd like to try the old trick of guitar>EQ>Preamp>EQ>speakers (eg, have an EQ in the effects loop, and before the amp). However, until i can sort this out, then the noise is pretty much a non-incentive.

Just as a final note, i believe i am setting up the loop correctly, with the Send going to the rocktron input, and return to the output...

Any suggestions for how to improve the setup? is there a possibility that its just that the Rocktron is not that good?

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Not sure i could offer much advice past what you've probably tried already, ie: eliminating one at a time to narrow it down to one or two of them not getting along. are you using a multiwart thingy or a bunch of separate power warts?

anyway Welcome to GN,
i'm sure Wes or one of the others here that Gig alot will have suggestions for you soon.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@grant_brown)
Topic starter  

cheers dude,

im currently working around it for now. I can imagine ill end up just not using it - if it aint broke dont fix it i gather...

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

One thing that always gets odd results from a pedal is poor power, whether a dying battery or a transformer, that's overloaded.
I'd take everything else out of the chain - and disconnect them from any transformer. Have only the Rocktron connected. Use only one amp, as well.
Then start building he chain, piece by piece - to only one amp, at first. I'd also keep the Rocktron powered by a battery and not by a transformer.

See where the noise is coming from.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@sparx)

Could it be a grounding problem? do any of the units have a ground lift on them?
Not that im that familar with pedals and their ground-loop-hum possibilites, but id be interested in trying to get all the metal chassis grounded together as close as possible...

token drummer

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

How many of these effects use batteries? Using battery powered effects, and having the wires/chords lying accross each other can sometimes produce a radio noise. The best way to avoid it is to use power adapters.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for setting up my effects loop. Ive been using 2 x 150W randall warhead solid state amps

Jeepers! :shock: Sure the noise isn't your ears ringing :wink:

The trouble i'm having is that when i run all these straight into my amp, i get very little noise, but when i run the modulators in the effects loop, using the rocktron silencer, i get more noise (i have to dial in the gate so hard to cut it, which makes my tone fuzzy and die quicker). To me, this seems odd, as generally you hear people having the problem the other way around...

On a more serious note, having looked up the manual for the Warhead, I'd say your problem is one of gain staging in the effects loop, especially since you're not having a problem with noise running the effects straight in.

The effects loop in your amp seems to have adjustable levels for both the send and return. If the send level is set too high, then you're actually amplifying any noise generated by your guitar and any pedals you run straight in, BEFORE they hit the effects in the loop.

This signal is then sent to the pedals in the loop, which processes it, and in the case of an EQ pedal, may actually boost the level some more (amplifying the noise along with the "good" signal). This boosted signal is then passed to the return, which if IT'S set too high, will boost the level yet again, then send it to the power amp for yet another boost.

It doesn't take much of this to get to the point where even the output of the quietest pedal can a turn into symphony of hiss and noise.

Try working with the levels of your send and return to find where you lose the noise, but not the volume.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote