Clear all

Pc based drum machine

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@flintstone)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I cant find the amps and efx forum so...
Does anyone use a pc drum machine? I have seen heaps of stand alone units but i am wondering if a pc version can be just as good (minus some portability). I tried PCdrummer and it seems alright, but i just dont have any idea how good it should be. I read that some drum machines have a bass line creator thingy too. Is this useful? Should i get a standalone drum machine instead and which one?
Thanks

(@phinnin)
Estimable Member

PC Drummer is good if you know a drummer who can program certain beats and styles into the thing. It also sounds amazing through a PA, really realistic. But, hard to use and no bass line kill it.

Band in a Box. I am the damn poster child for this thing. YOu can just plug in a chord progression and a musical style (bluegrass to metal) and the program generates Drums, Bass, Guitar, Piano, etc. YOu mute out the parts you don't need and go from there.

I simply love this program. Another great feature is its great for introducing new people to your jam. Just tell em to follow the chord progression. No one gets lost.

Band in a Box. Game, set, match.

ReplyQuote
(@flintstone)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Cheers Phinnin,
Band in a box seems the the business, cos I love making up things and a drum, bass, piano will fill things out and make it more interesting. It sounds like it could be useful for making up stuff when you arent jamming with your band too.....
Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

We just changed the name of the forum and diversified it a bit. Effects are now under "From Here to There".
Cheers.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Check out Groove Agent. It accepts MIDI so you can easily write your own parts, and it comes with tons and tons of pre-written grooves and fills, in many styles and level of complicity. And best of all, it comes with a fair number of different drumkits, from jazzy to rock and hip-=hop to ambient. Not too cheap, but awesome for just jamming or writing songs.

ReplyQuote