4 Users
0 Likes
(@dagwood)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Band: Pink Floyd
Song: Sorrow
Album: Momentary Lapse of Reason.

In the song "Sorrow" I'm trying to ID what Gilmour uses that almost machine, like sound. Its the opening riff(s) where you hear it best...before the rest of the band kicks in.

To me it sounds like a torn speaker, I know that wouldn't necessarily be correct but I just can't put my finger on it.

Does anyone know?

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Not familiar with that song specifically off the top of my head but is this the sound you are talking about?
As with many tracks from the album, Gilmour played a Steinberger GL "headless" guitar on this song [2], contributing to the overall cold, "sad" feel of the music. The guitar intro was recorded inside the LA sports arena, piped through Pink Floyd's massive sound system, thus giving the tone an extremely deep, cavernous sound.

Found HERE

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Not familiar with that song specifically off the top of my head but is this the sound you are talking about?
As with many tracks from the album, Gilmour played a Steinberger GL "headless" guitar on this song [2], contributing to the overall cold, "sad" feel of the music. The guitar intro was recorded inside the LA sports arena, piped through Pink Floyd's massive sound system, thus giving the tone an extremely deep, cavernous sound.

Found HERE

Jim
Not the easiest thing in the world to reproduce :wink:

A lot of experimenting with a multi-tap delay fed through one or more reverb units might come close enough? Fun to try anyway :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Sounds almost like he's got a regular fuzz-box on one track and regular guitar on the other, mixed together. But that line, it almost sounds like the bass is doing it, with a fuzz/distortion on it but an octave up. Like he's using an octave box/fuzz.

I also hear a little, I dunno, 'ring-mod' type effect on it.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I found my answer on "GILMOURISH" site.

Here's what he says.. in case anyone is interested:

Sorrow
Steinberger GL
- intro; the guitar was recorded with a Big Muff into a Fender Concert combo and fed through Floyd's Quad PA system at the LA Sports Arena.
(No Wonder the sound is HUGE....LOL.....it WAS HUGE!!!)

- rythms/fills; distortion* and chorus
- fade in effects; clean signal with chorus and delay
- mid section delay effects; distortion*, chorus and dealy, using a volume pedal to create swells
- solo; distortion*, chorus and delay
* Distortion signal for rhythms and solo; Steinberger guitar/ Boss HM2/ Boss digital delay/ Fender Super Champ combo (clean)/ Gallien Krueger amp using it's distortion channel (David Gilmour interview, Guitar World july ‘88

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I found my answer on "GILMOURISH" site.

Here's what he says.. in case anyone is interested:

Sorrow
Steinberger GL
- intro; the guitar was recorded with a Big Muff into a Fender Concert combo and fed through Floyd's Quad PA system at the LA Sports Arena.
(No Wonder the sound is HUGE....LOL.....it WAS HUGE!!!)

- rythms/fills; distortion* and chorus
- fade in effects; clean signal with chorus and delay
- mid section delay effects; distortion*, chorus and dealy, using a volume pedal to create swells
- solo; distortion*, chorus and delay
* Distortion signal for rhythms and solo; Steinberger guitar/ Boss HM2/ Boss digital delay/ Fender Super Champ combo (clean)/ Gallien Krueger amp using it's distortion channel (David Gilmour interview, Guitar World july ‘88

ACK.. isnt that what I said? /pats himself on back... LOL

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You sure did - good catch geoo!

ReplyQuote