Clear all

Really smooth distortion;Brian May, David Gilmour,Tom Scholz

14 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@number6)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I know each of the players I mentioned uses different guitars/amps/effects, but I was wondering what type of effect would get me closest to their sounds (in their solos in stuff like Killer Queen, Comfortably numb and More than a feeling) with my homemade guitar and Line6 solid state amp. I want to get something fairly smooth overall, with a bit of screech at the upper end. Any suggestions?

Thanks

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Sounds like you want an Overdrive pedal, rather than a distortion pedal.

Gilmour and May certainly used overdrive pedals in their solos.

Sorry I can't help more, but there are quite a few out there. Check out "guitargeek" for some examples.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Here is a DigiTech Artist Series- Brian May Pedal. Check out the sound bytes.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I agree with the overdrive pedal. But, all of those guys (who most definitely overdrove their amps) also used tube amps. That is the way you get smooth, creamy, distorted sounds.

ReplyQuote
(@guitar4k)
Eminent Member

I get a pretty close Gilmore sound with my TS-9 (808) overdrive pedal playing with a strat. However, this is through my fender tube amp. When I play with the same pedal through my solid state "hybrid" Marshall amp, I don't get the same feel at all. Its still a decent sound, but the tube amp makes a huge difference.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

a tubescreamer or Big Muff. they've been around for a long time.

Im a tubescreamer devotee!

oh, and adding a delay will help for the Gilmore stuff.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

May used his amp turned up LOUD and added a treble booster. So did Clapton in the early days. But a good Treble Booster really sends the amp into overdrive and smooths things out. Definitly worth trying out. But then again a good Tube Screamer can do something along the lines. But if you want May's knarling sound then definitly a treble booster is the way to go.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What do treble boosters do exactly? Can they only be used on tube amps?

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@bold_as_love)

for gilmour i would recommend a delay, big muff and a compressor of some kind (mxr, boss etc). A big muff has been and continues to be a part of Dave's pedal board since the 70's and most of his leads are done with a big muff and compressor. And the delay or echo is an essential part of the Floyd sound. For May I would use some sort of tightly compressed gain pedal like a Homebrew Electronics Treble Booster or a Beano Boost.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

May used his amp turned up LOUD and added a treble booster. So did Clapton in the early days.

If you're talking about the tone he gets on the beano album, it's a myth! Clapton didn't use a treble booster then, it was all tube amp :D

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

One way to smooth out your distortion is use Brian May's technique of rolling off the treble. He would roll it off at the amp, and get a really articulate yet smooth overdrive.

ReplyQuote
 PJS
(@pjs)
Eminent Member

I use a combination of MXR Dynacomp and a EH Big Muff Pi for my gilmourish distortion. Cut back on the big muffs sustain and 'boost' the signal with your compressor. Ad 'some' delay and you're there.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Gilmour used a Big Muff (USA version) on Comfortably Numb. Those are great effects, and I'd go for it. Cost about $70 new.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

May used his amp turned up LOUD and added a treble booster. So did Clapton in the early days.

If you're talking about the tone he gets on the beano album, it's a myth! Clapton didn't use a treble booster then, it was all tube amp :D

I dunno, there's a lot of info out there that says he was using a Rangemaster treble booster.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote