Clear all

Powering Old Pedal

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@crandles)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have this Kent 6400 Distorter pedal that my sister's boyfriend found inhis basement and gave to me. I don't know how old this thing is but my guess is from the late 60s/early 70's and runs on 9V batteries. I was wondering if there is an adaped or something I can use to power it so I don't have to buy a whole slew of batteries over time. I tried using it with the Godlyke Power All but that doesn't work for some reason. As soon as I connected it to it all my other pedals on the Godlyke lost power. I tried with it being the only pedal on the Godlyke which also didn't work.

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The Godlyke is pretty cool. Says though that it's "industry standard tip negative/barrel positive polarity," so maybe your pedal is the reverse? You might have to get a regular 9 volt adapter. I had a pedal that didn't have a plug type connector so I managed to route that 2-conductor 9 volt battery connector out between the bottom plate and the case and then soldered a Radioshack battery connector on the end of a 9 volt adapter and just clicked the two together. It's not the prettiest thing, but it worked.

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I think you're up against the issue of positive ground vs. negative ground. (PNP and NPN transistors, and other smoke-and-mirrors stuff.) Even if you get a power supply that will operate your pedal, it may not "play nice" when chained with other pedals if they're of the opposite polarity.
I used to have a link to a page where Andreas Moller (Stinkfoot Electronics, Sweden) did a pretty good "rant" about it, but chello.se now says "den angivna adressen (URL:en) är felaktig." I think that means it's "gone 404." :(
There's probably any number of people around here who can explain it better than I can.

ReplyQuote
(@crandles)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've been able to remedy the situation. I took an old 9V adapter that I used to power my wah before I got the Godlyke, and attached the battery clip jumper from the Powerall kit to it and it works fine now.

ReplyQuote