Notifications
Clear all

robin guthrie

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@daddyfarlessa)
Topic starter  

I'm not a guitarist, but have a question I believe some guitarists might have the answer to. I play a
hammered dulcimer. I have a soundboard pick-up (mfg.- 'Pick Up the World') I have it going thru a Digitech RP100, then thru a Roland Cube amp. (My goal is to have everything portable so I can play it while camping).

I'm a fan of Robin Guthrie (formerly Cocteau Twins). I've seen him play live on several
occasions. He has a laptop computer on stage that he utilizes while performing. I've heard of
musicians having some 'tracks' pre-recorded, then they will play live along with those tracks.
With Robin, it appears that as he begins a piece, he records sections of it live on stage then
programs the computer to keep replaying these 'live' recordings in a loop while he progresses to
playing other parts of the piece; all on the same intrument.

Am I trippin', or is this what he is doing?

Question: If this is what he is doing, do you know of some electonics I could use with my (very
small) set-up that could come close to duplicating this technique? Something other than a laptop;
something that could record and play just a few background tracks while I play the melody along
it? With the devices I do have along with the dulcimer, I've found I'm able to create a 'droning'
effect easily and feel that if I could obtain the technology I mentioned, I could create the sound
I'm looking for.

Any info/referral will help...Thanx, Mark

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

He could be using the laptop to do the looping.

There are dedicated pedals that do the job.
Such as these

Here's K.T. Tunestall showing what she can do with one.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Here's the first part of a 2-part tutorial by KT Tunstall on how to use a looper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dycuZbWWUI

Hers is an Akai Headrush.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@colin-rp)
Eminent Member

I have been playing around with mobius http://www.circularlabs.com/ . I use a usb pre-amp to my laptop and sound out to my pa or guitar amp. I picked up a usb keyboard for 2 bucks at a thrift store which I put on the floor and use as a footswitch. It's not super heavy duty it is definitely a great way get into the world of looping.

ReplyQuote
(@daddyfarlessa)
Topic starter  

The daddyfarlessa sez tanx! (jes saw Robin Guthrie and Brendan Perry [DCD] @ the El Rey last mo.) 8')

ReplyQuote