Notifications
Clear all

Roland JC 120:Is this a good price?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@valleyboy)
Topic starter  

I just got a Rickenbacker 330/12-String and am looking for a Roland JC-120 to pair it up with. I found one in a classifieds section for $350. The seller says it's from the late 70's and that "the amp works great."

Is this a good price? Or is it better to get something new? It is my understanding that old JC-120s can be problematic because some of the replacement parts are no longer made or available. Is this true? Also, I obviously want the original speakers. How can I know if they are original? Is there a distinguishing mark?

Any help is truly appreciated!

Thanks in advanced!

-valleyboy

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

It's a solid state amp so most parts should be fairly common. Regarding the speakers, the only distinguishing mark that you should be able to see right off the bat is that the coil domes are chrome or aluminum coloured. You should be able to see these through the speaker grill. It's a sought after Jazz amp. I think $350 is pretty reasonable if it is in good working order. Check all the pots and jacks.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@valleyboy)
Topic starter  

Thank you very much for that info hueseph! It's greatly appreciated.

btw, here is what I was refering to about replacement parts and compatibility between early and newer models. This comes straight from Roland's website and is of particular interest to me because the model that's on the classifieds is from the late 1970's.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/faq.cfm?iCncd=265&FAQ=EN04-07065&dsp=1&ln=en&prd=JC120

thanks again.

-valleyboy

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

I have to agree with Hueseph here. Nearly all the parts will still be available. The odds are that there won't be a problem. Even if a part that is no longer in production fails and needs to be replaced, a NOS (New Old Stock) part can most probably be found for it with a little searching. A modern equivalent should work fine if not, and most likely will not affect the sound to a noticeable degree.

Personally, I prefer the sound of the vintage '70s JC-120s over the current models. They seem to have more "warmth". That's just my opinion, but I *am* old enough to have been a player when the JC-120s came out and gained popularity, so I feel justified in my opinion by experience. $350 is quite reasonable for a vintage JC-120 in good shape.

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@valleyboy)
Topic starter  

I have to agree with Hueseph here. Nearly all the parts will still be available. The odds are that there won't be a problem. Even if a part that is no longer in production fails and needs to be replaced, a NOS (New Old Stock) part can most probably be found for it with a little searching. A modern equivalent should work fine if not, and most likely will not affect the sound to a noticeable degree.

Personally, I prefer the sound of the vintage '70s JC-120s over the current models. They seem to have more "warmth". That's just my opinion, but I *am* old enough to have been a player when the JC-120s came out and gained popularity, so I feel justified in my opinion by experience. $350 is quite reasonable for a vintage JC-120 in good shape.

Cheers!

Strat

Thank you very much for your input. This is good since I am a new player and value the opinions of people who have already been there and done that. I just recieved an email from the seller and he went down to $300. I already told him I would take it. I will post pic's when I get it. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

You're quite welcome. :)

Just make sure, as Hueseph said, to check all the controls and check the speakers to make sure they match and aren't blown and be sure to try it out before parting with any money. Be careful when you go to load it up to take it home, as the old JC-120s are quite heavy...they didn't come with casters for nothing! :lol:

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote