6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Here's the review I wrote on GC:

NEW REVIEW - Best distortion, period

The only way I can describe the sound of this pedal is "clean distortion". So much of the tone of your guitar comes through, even at the highest gain levels. As an added cool feature, with the gain set all the way down, the pedal still gives you "classic rock" distortion. I've never heard a pedal that sounds so much like the kind of distortion you'd hear on a professional recording. Another cool thing is that this is the first pedal where all the knobs at 12 o'clock is darn near perfect. The volume or level knob at 12 perfectly matches the bypass volume. Get this.

Reviewed by Fred on 9/3/2008 who plays Blues and Rock.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Joe-Satriani-Satchurator-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-482295-i1398839.gc?sort=3

Learning requires a willingness to be bad at something for awhile.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Fred, what guitar (esp. what type of pickups - singles or humbuckers)? What amp - clean or dirty? what else is in your pedal chain? Can you get the "cleaner" Satch sounds like in Always With Me?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Les Paul Studio - Burstbuckers
Squire Strat - simple single coils

Epiphone Valve Jr. - Clean

No other pedals.

As far as specific sounds from Joe, I have not really tried to compare as a lot of his tone might very well come from his technique 8)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

As far as specific sounds from Joe, I have not really tried to compare as a lot of his tone might very well come from his technique 8)

LOL, yeah, he is Mr. Technique. 8) Word has it that he used this pedal extensively while recording his latest album.

A few more Qs:

With the gain knob turned down, do you still get a decent amount of sustain? How about a good thick bluesy overdriven sound?

How is it "off" - decent bypass buffer?

What about hiss?

Thanks for your thoughts! :D (Can you tell I've been gassing for this pedal? :roll: )

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hiss if you turn the gain up all the way. Noise gate might help.

Bypass sounds fine, not sure if it is true bypass or not.

Gain all the way down is still excellent, but I would still classify it as distortion, IMO.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

This is one I have my eye on, but I just got the Line 6 UberMetal and am really digging that right now (especially with my Fender Toronado with 11-56 strings in D tuning). I'll probably end up getting this Satch Pedal or the Rocktron Silver Dragon next.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote