solo boost

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,

I currently use a Boss ME-50 multi fx into the clean channel of my amp.Unfortuneately as good as the the ME-50 is you cant program a boost tone/patch into it because there is a tiny delay when switching patches.I have a spare EQ peddle which I am thinking of using to give me a boost for solo's but not sure where to put it.
I dont want it to effect the sound if possible so was thinking about putting it between the guitar and the ME-50 effectively boosting the guitar signal without effecting the tone coming from the ME-50 or the amp.Obviously setting all the sliders flat.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Bob.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think that I'd put it after the Boss. If you boost the input signal, you're also increasing gain, so you may take a clean signal into overdrive/distortion. You may want to change the gain, so before would be OK. If not, I'd suggest after the Boss (it still means that you need enough headroom in your amp to keep a clean signal).

Personally, I'd consider a boost pedal. I have a Dano Daddy-O, which allows me to boost gain and volume, so I can get a volume increase without increasing gain or I can increase gain, to get overdrive/distortion, without increasing volume.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Greybeard,

Don't mind a little extra gain as don't need to use it on any clean sounds.Before I got the Boss I used to use it through the effects loop of the amp but it coloured the sound too much even with all the sliders in a neutral position.Having spent alot of time setting up my patches I don't want them effected too much.
Will be getting a new amp in a month or so,so don't want to invest in the boost pedal If I can help it .

CHeers

Bob

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I'd also put the EQ pedal after the ME50, as I've found digital boards don't seem to like too hot of a signal coming in.

Also, instead of flat EQ, I'd try boosting the mids for the solo tone. Esp. the upper mids.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote