Wah pedals

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys,

I'm looking for advice on a Wah pedal to buy. I play a lot of heavier stuff and almost always with pretty heavy distortion. I use a Boss MT-2 Metal zone for distortion and I'm looking for a pedal that can duplicate the Wah sounds of mainly Buckethead and/or Tom Morello. If anyone's heard Soothsayer by Buckethead, you'll know the sound I'm going for.

I'm getting pretty close to settling on a Fulltone Clyde, but wanted some more input.

Price is not really a limiting factor, but obviously I'd rather not spend a ton of cash.

(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Fulltone Clyde is a great pedal...but the Vox V847 is $100 less. I have the V847 and it's great...HUGE range frm high to low, more than than any other Dunlop Crybaby I've tried out. Clyde...it's expensive and I'm sure it's great as it gets awesome reviews...but the V847 is great and cheaper.

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot, I'm looking at those now and they look good. I'm always happy to save $100, it's $100 that can go into a new soundcard or something :D

The only question I have, do you get much hum out of the Vox?

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Well I do get a but of a hum/buzz when I have the wah all the way down in the high range...BUT if you are playing you get no hum or buzzing at all. None, and that's always good. And also, you'll never get hum when you have it shut off.

People in the reviews complain about it not being true-bypass. But I experimented with my old amp (Roland 15X Cube) and new amp (Fender Blues Jr) and I don't notice any tone difference with it the wah plugged in and off...or just guitar straight into amp. I don't hear any tone-loss like people complain about.

But if you do decide to get it, it might be worth getting a true-bypass mod for only $20-$25.

BTW you can prob get the Vox V847 off ebay for about $40-$95 ($95 brand new...$40 used)

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I actually just got one off ebay for $70 new :) It's cheap enough that I will try it out and worst case scenario I sell it and buy another. I see a lot of pretty good reviews for it, and it's a lot cheaper than the fulltone, so we'll see.

Thanks a lot for your help.

ReplyQuote