Skip to content
What can you tell m...

Notifications
Clear all

What can you tell me about these pedals?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@big-arm)
Topic starter  

Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer $40
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer $100
Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer $110
Ibanexx TS808 Vintage Tubescreamer $170

Can you tell a newbie the differences in these pedals?

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i have no real opinion about the comparisons of these pedals, however when i was shopping for something of the sort i also gravitated to the tube-screamers as they were universally heralded as the best tone of the sort you could ask for.
during that episode of GAS i came across this in my search for info. it's worth reading
http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/articles/opamps.htm

btw i settled on a digitech "BadMonkey" and i couldn't be happier.
check out youtube for examples of the tone you can get for under $40 :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Big Arm

First of all, welcome to Guitar Noise.

The Ibanez Tubescreamer is one of the most famous pedals ever. It was especially made popular by Stevie Ray Vaughan who used this pedal.

It is a matter of opinion and taste, but the early 80s models are believed to be the best sounding. People will pay $500 and up to get ahold of one of the early models. You can find them on EBay, but you have to be careful and know when you are truly looking at a vintage Tubescreamer, they have changed over the years.

The TS-808 is claimed by Ibanez to be an exact copy of the early 80's models, but most tone freaks will say it is not so and doesn't sound anywhere near as good. It is very close to being a duplicate of the original models, but it is impossible to have an exact duplicate because some parts are out of production, some companies that made certain components are no longer in business. But it is close, most folks would not be able to tell the difference.

The TS-9 is also very popular, it is very similar sounding and far less expensive. Some say it is more harsh, not as warm as the TS-808

Don't know much about the TS-9DX Turbo, but I believe this pedal has more gain which will give you more of an overdriven or distorted tone. The original Tubescreamers were never a high gain pedal, it was the tone that made them outstanding.

And the TS7 is just a more affordable model. Most feel it does not sound quite as good as the TS-9 or especially the TS-808

With all that said, go to YouTube and just type in TS-808, TS-9, TS-9DX, and TS-7. You will find many clips of people playing with these pedals. You can often find clips where people will play each of these pedals so you can make a comparison.

And it is all personal. I have listened to clips where I thought the cheaper less popular pedal actually sounded much better than the more expensive famous model. Sometimes this stuff is just pure hype. You have to listen to clips yourself or go down and try each pedal and go with the one that sounds best to you, doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yes, the TS9DX has four modes. One of them should be compatible with the TS808 and the others have more gain.

But follow the Wes advices. You will find lots of clips in YouTube and if you want to buy them, try all and compare. The tone is very personal taste. Sometimes the videos have more pedals or a different amp or guitar than you use.

Good luck and welcome to GN!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I have one of the "odd ducks" a TS10. From what I read it is very close to the TS9 in sound. The article said the input and output are not mounted to the box but directly to the board so they will eventually fail. nice to know. :lol: I use it in front of my tube amps to add sustain and overdrive my preamp tubes. I like the sound of that. Oh, I 'm rambling .... point being is if you can find one of these used and broken, it is likely just the jacks, can be fixed and can be had for a song.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

my main pedal is the turbo model...the TS9DX. I love this pedal. the four settings go from the original TS9 to three other settings that boost the bottom end. as stated above, typically, the TS9 sounds dry and or harsh. with the DX the bottom freqs are boosted giving a fuller crunchier sound.
I further modified this pedal using analogman.com he loosened up the gravel to bigger chunks..making the drive or dirt flabbier to emulate the 50's overdriven amp tone I adore.
I don't care for that tight grainy drive (EVH).
I used a TS9 for years and now my best friend gigs with that. he says it is essential for his tone.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@big-arm)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info. I am mainly interested in blues music. I also noticed that maxon makes an OD808. It is a little cheaper than the Ibanez. Is it equal?

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I don't remember so well but the original Ibanez were manufactured by Maxon or vice versa. Anyway, they are good pedals, too, and some people prefer them to the Ibanez. Try out each pedal and compare.

These overdrives are perfect for the blues.

ReplyQuote