Skip to content
What FX for Genesis...

Notifications
Clear all

What FX for Genesis "Follow You, Follow Me" ?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm cycling through progland, and stuck on Genesis this week.

Need some help with Mike Rutherford's sound in "Follow You, Follow Me"? Obviously there's some delay - analog or digital? I'm guessing analog because the trails seem to get warmer ... And what else - flanger? phaser? chorus? Also maybe a compressor?

It's easiest to hear at the very beginning of the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg7HE-P_C54

Nice bit of pop; hard to believe it's from 1978 ... predated the 80s synth-pop bands!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I can't find any sites that say for sure what effects Mike used. I think he's using an analog delay with a flanger, and maybe a bit of chorus.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Dan-T-Man! Yeah, I think a flanger is my key missing ingredient; got the delay and a touch of chorus going.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'd say delay with envelope filtering/follower instead of flanging. it also sounds like ping-pong (stereo) delay. the closest I have is the swept delay on my Echo Park delay pedal -- and it's very close. it's not as harsh or atonal and metallic as flanging.

didn't Collins use a Linn drum machine at that time? if so, I wouldn't be surpised if Roger Linn put together something for Rutherford. if you've ever heard the Adrenalinn guitar EFX box, it is capable of similar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Envelope filter - very interesting. I'll have to check those out. Makes me think of funk though. :) I had forgotten about ping-pong delay; that makes sense too.

I don't know if Linn was making other gear before the drum machine, but Collins first reported use was a year later with Brand X; supposedly Duke was the first Genesis album on which he used one.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

envelope filters don't just do funk (autowah). depending on how they are set-up some can do a timed sweep of LP, HP or BP filter. some of those sound more whoosh-like than wah-like

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote