Skip to content
What is the trick w...

Notifications
Clear all

What is the trick with the Wah pedal to get more top end?

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

There was a nifty trick posted a long while ago, a simple adjustment to a wah pedal, to shift the tone a little bit. It was a mechanical change, one little thing, not anything involving the electronics (i.e., no soldering involved.) But I can't remember what it was! So, what was it?
:?:

(Can't search "wah" in this forum; word is too short.)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ah ha. (Wah?)

Found it in a 2007 thread.
I use a standard recent-make classic CryBaby. Out of the box, the sweep is wrong, at least for me. I corrected it by simply opening the pedal bottom plate, bending the plastic strap back, and advancing the gear on the potentiometer 1 tooth. This put the "sweet spot" of the response knee at a usable spot in the pedals' range of mechanical movement. Try it. I've gotten many comments from other guitarists who hear me at gigs and see my pedalboard and ask/tell me: "my CryBaby sounds like crap!!..how do you get that wah to sound like that!?!?" :o

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have a vintage Vox that was altered I believe electronicaslly to be a tad hotter. I will look inside and see if this mod is workable.
tthanks slej.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

You should be able to do this with a Vox wah, provided you're not already at the end of the pot's travel. I had a Vox and it worked fine with it; I just couldn't remember what I did. :lol:

Now I have the "Classic" Crybaby with the fasel something or other. Really nice; just needs a little more room in the treble zone, so I'll try this little mod.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Just take care that the end stop of the pedal (bosses and screw stop under the moveable part) is defining the physical/mechanical stopping point. If the pot is bearing the force of the end stop, it will break eventually.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

The older battery one sounds better than the new plug in....same brand, Cry Baby

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The older battery one sounds better than the new plug in....

Only if you like terrible tone-suck when it's turned off ... :P

Also there are two "new" ones, both with the adapter plug, the "Original" and the "Classic." They really sound different. Classic is warmer, to my ears, and Original is sharper. Both would benefit from changing out the pot though; swapping the Hot Potz for one with a smoother taper.

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

I have a Thomas Organ-era Vox wah, and I dropped a "true bypass" switch into it. Does that solve the tone-suck problem?

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I have a Thomas Organ-era Vox wah, and I dropped a "true bypass" switch into it. Does that solve the tone-suck problem?

My experience is with the older Vox V847 that was actually made by Dunlop, and had a very similar circuit to the Crybaby. Yes, true bypass made a HUGE improvement in that pedal. But, admittedly, I never tried a buffer before it, so I don't know if that would have somehow offset the wah's own terrible buffer.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

It does have the suck but it wahs better. has a better range for some reason. I use the plug in jobbie now.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Hey, Tinsmith...the pic of Hendrix is quite appropriate. He put a second 9 volt (in series) in his.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

As I recall.....he like the battery half charged....does this sound familiar or am I just old???

ReplyQuote