Clear all

Which type of pedal?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I have a question about which type of pedal I should look into getting. Right now I have a Silvertone amp, that has overdrive, but it just sounds a bit thin/weak to me. Normally I have a Behringer amp with lots of effects on board, but that is at home. So, what do you think would be the best bet for a pedal to tweak my sound? Reverb, chorus, delay, something else? Just looking for suggestions...

Thanks,

-jon

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Believe it or not? I'd look at an EQ pedal. You may be surprised and happily so :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@andy_limp182)

how exactly does an eq pedal work....iv never had the priveledge of sitting for ours on 1 and adjusting different settings.....can you add more gain to amp distortion?

what the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes.....still means i get fucked over

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Are you talking about one of those old Harmony Silvertone amps? It's garbage. You should sell it to me. Those old tube amps aren't worth much. I might be convinced to give you...oh....$20.00 for it. :P If it happens to be one of those old tube amps, you might want to try swapping out the tubes. Make sure you match the tubes correctly.

I would second an eq but I would look for a used multi fx first like the Digitech RP series which can be very inexpensive(they're also kinda cheap but perfectly fine to use with an older amp.). Other than that, if it is one of those old tube amps, crank it and see how it sounds. You never know. You might have yourself a gem there. Maybe a new speaker and tubes would change your perspective.

Incidentally, I've seen some old 5-10 watt Silvertones go for as much as $400.00 :shock:

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Are you talking about one of those old Harmony Silvertone amps? It's garbage. You should sell it to me. Those old tube amps aren't worth much. I might be convinced to give you...oh....$20.00 for it. :P If it happens to be one of those old tube amps, you might want to try swapping out the tubes. Make sure you match the tubes correctly.

I would second an eq but I would look for a used multi fx first like the Digitech RP series which can be very inexpensive(they're also kinda cheap but perfectly fine to use with an older amp.). Other than that, if it is one of those old tube amps, crank it and see how it sounds. You never know. You might have yourself a gem there. Maybe a new speaker and tubes would change your perspective.

Incidentally, I've seen some old 5-10 watt Silvertones go for as much as $400.00 :shock:

Hehe - I wish it was an old tube amp. It is a Silvertone Smart IIIs. It has a volume, bass, treble, and distortion knobs, with a button to turn on or off the distortion. So you guys seem to be thinking an EQ pedal, huh? I will definitely look into the Digitech RP - would be nice to have lots of different effects, but does that mean that all of them are not quite as good, or is it just more expensive than a single pedal? I saw it going for about $100, but I think that is a bit out of my price range for this purchase. Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

-jon

ReplyQuote