Clear all

White noise in one of my guitars

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

When plugging in my classical/electric I seem to be getting alot of white noise through the amp. It's an Ibanez EW28KOENT.

I changed cables and the problem still persists, but it doesn't happen with my other guitars, there is little to none. I don't know what the Notch Filter knob does, but would that help make a difference?

Thanks!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

sounds like the internal preamp noise. it's active (battery powered), correct? if it's been that way since day one, might just be the design and it's performing as intended, as every preamp will generate some noise (hiss). is it really a problem during performance or just a noticeable difference as compared to your other guitars? one of the features of more expensive preamp designs is lower noise (and a few "other" things of course).

OTOH, if it has been getting louder over time, then that could be dying battery or even failing circuitry. first step: change the battery.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks! I'll change the battery, not sure why I didn't think of that, I guess I've always forgotten there was a battery.

Hoping that should fix it.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, I changed the batteries, and it didn't fix the problem. I ended up taking my guitar in to a luthier and they figured it out in like 30 seconds. It was the actual pre-amp on the guitar. Something to do with the volume pot not making a connection, and even a little WD-40 didn't fix it.

Long story short, the store replaced my guitar instead of having me wait for a pre-amp and then install it etc.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Joe -- good result. but note this: your luthier should know better -- WD-40 should NEVER be sprayed into electronics. it eventually destroys. especially pots.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

If it's any help when your new guitar arrives, I have an Ibanez EW20WNE (from the same exotic woods series, so probs the same preamp model) which is as quiet as a baby. I was really impressed with how quiet it is given how inexpensive the guitar is (purty guitar, too). When it arrives, I'd suggest testing it through an amp as the first thing you do, just in case.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Scrybe, the store had like 6 of them, so I got mine the day I brought it in. :D

It works like a champ with almost no white noise!

I actually liked the Ibanez EW series so much I replaced my washburn with the quilted maple acoustic/electric. It does in fact have the same preamp.

ReplyQuote