Skip to content
Will this work? (ho...

Notifications
Clear all

Will this work? (hooking my amp up to a GT8)

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@chadlloyd)
Topic starter  

I'm fairly new to this, so this might seem like a dumb question.....

1990 PRS CP -> 5150 with a Me-50 in the effects loop.

OK, so I'm using an ME-50 in the effects loop of my me-50. Generally speaking it works fine for the jamming with friends stuff I'm doing. However, one of the things I don't like about it is that sometimes the effects are essentially in the wrong point in the signal chain. For instance, if I use the wah pedal it is in the effects loop instead of in front of the pre-amp.

So I got to thinking that what I really wanted to do is have the 5150's pre-amp be one of the distortion settings on the pedal board..... but that isn't possible on an Me-50...... so i started looking at the GT8, and it is possible with that.... sorta......

So my though is this:

Plug the guitar into the input of the GT-8. Plug the Send of the GT-8 into the input of the 5150. Plug the Effects send of the 5150 into the return of the Gt-8. Plug the output of the GT-8 into the return of the 5150.......

I should then be able to use the effects loop of the GT-8 as the 5150 pre-amp, and because gt-8 allows ordering of the effects, I should be able to solve the ordering problem.

My question is, if I decide to NOT use the pre-amp of the 5150, will this setup still work? ie: if I want to go for a clean sound, essentially the 5150 would just be pumping the GT-8's input out from the effect return, and everything else would be disconnected, right? Will this hurt the 5150? It seems to me that as when it is not punched in there is no input to it, there should be no power to 'soak', right?

Will this work? Will it cause a problem with my amplifier?

Seems like an awful lot to go to just to get the wah pedal into the right place in the effects loop! But there are other things it could be useful for as well.....

Anyway, anyone who has an answer, or has tried this type of patching before, please let me know. All I really use the effects for are chorus, reverb, delay, wah, phaser, and uni-vibe.

Thanks.

(@niklas)
Reputable Member

If I was in your postition I would just go for separate effects. To buy the effects you use won't cost much more than the GT-8, and they will probably be a bit better. Just hook them all up on a pedalboard and you will have a really pro setup with the gear you're using.

I can't anwser your question about the GT-8 and the effects loop.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@chadlloyd)
Topic starter  

answered my own question in this article here:

http://forum.thestompbox.net/showthread.php?t=4632

Basically yes it will work exactly as I thought it would.

The problem with seperate effects is that you cannot get different settings on the same effect box without fiddling with all the controls. I like being able to stomp on one button to get the combination of effects I want. The other thing is I find multi-effect boxes to be (somewhat) less noisy than the same effects hooked up in a serial line. Finally, when you have a bunch of seperate effects you cannot change the order of the effects - with a GT8 you can.

having said all that, if I went this route I would be faced with the same thing that caused me to ditch my last multi effects board - I ended up spending too much time fiddling with the damn effects and not enough time playing.

At this point this is something I am going to keep in the back of my mind in case I get into a sitation which requires a better set up than what I currently have. Right now I think what i have works well enough for what I am doing.

ReplyQuote