Clear all

Transfers part II

204 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
64.9 K Views
(@blind_lemon_pye)
Trusted Member

Neil Hannon seems to be connected to no one but himself !

Though recently he wrote some tracks for Jane Birkin's last album, Fictions.

Jane Birkin !

If I'm not in the band
Don't mean I'm square
Mercury Rev - Car Wash Air

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Before famously teaming up with Serge Gainsbourg, with whom she recorded her first major hit, "Je t'aime... moi non plus", Jane Birkin was married to composer John Barry, who wrote, among many other classic film scores, the James Bond theme, and the music for The Lion in Winter, Midnight Cowboy, Out of Africa, and Dances with Wolves. He has five Academy Awards and four Grammys to his credit, as well as countless other nominations.

John's first composing credits, however, were songs and musical film scores for early English pop idol

Adam Faith

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Terence (Terry) Nelhams-Wright, known as Adam Faith (June 23, 1940—March 8, 2003) was an English singer, actor and financial journalist. He was born in Acton in West London, and was unaware that his real surname was Nelhams-Wright until he applied for a passport and obtained his birth certificate. He was known as Terry Nelhams in early life.

Faith's brand of sometimes rather twee pop ("Lonely Pup (In a Christmas Shop)") became less popular through the 1960s in the face of competition from groups like the Beatles, and he began an alternative career as an actor. While still a musician he had appeared in films such as Beat Girl (1961), but now he concentrated on acting in the theatre. In the 1970s he went into music management, managing Leo Sayer among others.

He appeared in the 1970s television series Budgie, about an ex-convict, but after a car accident as a result of which he almost lost a leg, his career suffered something of a decline. It restarted in 1975 when he landed a major role as the manipulative manager of rock star David Essex in the film Stardust. In the early 1990s, Faith had another hit TV series in Love Hurts with Zoe Wanamaker.

In the 1980s Adam Faith's interests moved from show business to finance and he became a financial investments advisor. In 1986 he was hired as a financial journalist, by the Daily Mail and its sister paper the Mail on Sunday. He also had an involvement with the television Money Channel. But the channel proved to be an unsuccessful venture and closed down in 2001. Adam Faith was declared bankrupt owing a reported £32m.

Leo Sayer

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Leo Sayer - ah the frizzy hair, the make up, the clown suits - everyone forgets he wrote some really good songs, chief amongst which has to be "Giving it All Away" by Roger Daltrey - RD's first solo hit - a classic!

(Thinks - must work that out for easy songs.....great song, pretty easy!)

Daltrey played Chesney Hawke's dad in the film based on the song "The One And Only" - I'm sure you'll understand if i don't delve too deeply into that....but Chesney's dad was Chip Hawke, bass player with the Tremolos, who had quite a few hits in the 60's, their biggest was "Silence is Golden" which was previously a hit for......

The Four Seasons

(Or Les Quatre Saisons, if you're dining out!)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

The Fours Seasons depended for their distinctive sound on the unmistakeable lead vocals of falsetto expert Frankie Valli.

Valli has continued with The Four Seasons right up to the present time, but has occasionally release solo singles, notably the Grease film theme, written by

Barry Gibb

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Among the many songs co-written by B Gibb along with his brothers R & M (Yes I do know their names - Maurice and Robin!) and covered by other artists are:

Islands in the Stream - Kenny Rodgers & Dolly Parton
More Than A Woman - Tavares
If I Can't Have You - Yvonne Elliman
Heartbreaker - Dionne Warwick
Guilty - Barbara Streisand
Grease - Frankie Valli (as already mentioned)

Let's go with Dolly shall we?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

In 1987, Dolly Parton left her longtime label, RCA, and signed with Columbia Records, where her recording career continued to prosper, but by the mid 1990s, Parton, along with many other performers of her generation, found that her new music was not welcome on country radio playlists. She recorded a series of critically acclaimed bluegrass albums, beginning with "The Grass is Blue" (1999) and "Little Sparrow" (2001), both of which won Grammy Awards. Her 2002 album "Halos and Horns" included a bluegrass version of the Led Zeppelin classic Stairway to Heaven. In 2005, Parton released Those Were The Days, her interpretation of hits from the folk-rock era of the late 1960s through early 1970s. The CD featured such classics as John Lennon's "Imagine," Cat Stevens' "Where Do The Children Play," Tommy James' "Crimson & Clover," and the folk classic "Where Have All The Flowers Gone", as well as the title track.

Cat Stevens

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@blind_lemon_pye)
Trusted Member

Cat Steven's first LP, New Masters, realised in 1967, did not chart. Nevertheless, one of the songs from this LP, The First Cut is the Deepest, did become a hit for P.P. Arnold, Rod Stewart and Sheryl Crow.

Rod Stewart

If I'm not in the band
Don't mean I'm square

ReplyQuote
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member

Rod Stewart has hasz a sucessful recording career over the years not only solo but with the faces as well and recorded many collaboration one of the most famous ones of modern times being All for Love with Sting and Brian Adams

lets go with Brian

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

Sean

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Brian Adams recorded a theme song to a film about Robin Hood - it still holds th record as the longest UK #1 - the next longest is Wet Wet Wet's (boy, were they well named!) version of "Love Is All Around"......which was originally done by the Troggs - who also had a hit with "Legend of Xanadu." Olivia Newton-John also had a hit with Xanadu, on which she was backed by that fine band.....

ELO

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Jeff Lynne was the driving force behind ELO. He also worked individually with George Harrison and Tom Petty. Most famously though he worked with them together in the Traveling Wilburys, along with Dylan and Roy Orbison.

Tom Petty then!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Tom's backing band - at the time of "American Girl" - was the Heartbreakers. Another band with the same name existed at the same time - Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, although musically they were poles apart...Thunder's band were a punk outfit, and played on the legendary "Anarchy" tour with The Sex Pistols, The Damned, and......

The Clash.

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Surely someone out there must have heard of the Clash?

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Perhaps the best known member of the Clash was Joe Strummer. After the Clash broke up, Strummer went on to form the Mescaleros, with Strummer on vocals and guitar, Antony Genn on guitar, Scott Shields on bass, Martin Slattery on keyboards and guitar, Pablo Cook on various percussion instruments and Smiley (aka Steve Barnard) on drums.
Smiley had been brought in to replace a drummer who dropped out before even the first record could be finished. He was recruited from the line-up that backed Robbie Williams.

So Robbie Williams it is.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@blind_lemon_pye)
Trusted Member

Okay then. Joe Strummer, born John Graham Mellor, was known for a while under the name of Woody Mellor, as a tribute to Woody Guthrie.

Woody Guthrie :lol:

If I'm not in the band
Don't mean I'm square

ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 14