Transfers part II

204 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
64.9 K Views
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Woody did a great version of Vigilante Man - I saw Nazareth do that song onstage 3 times in 4 nights back in the 70's - but the best version I ever heard was by.....

Ry Cooder

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Ahh, Ry Cooder one of my favourite artists. Vigilante Man was on his “Into the Purple Valley” album along with “Hey Porter”. This song has also been done by Johnny Cash and Hank Williams Jr. amongst other artists.

I choose Hank Williams Jr.

BTW great to see you back Vic. :D

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for that PBee....

Hank Jr wrote Jambalaya, a big hit over here in the 70's for the Carpenters....also done by the Blue Ridge Rangers, which was basically a one man band....

Jphn Fogerty! Again!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Okay, Fogerty was guitarist and front man for CCR, whose song "Proud Mary" was covered by Ike and Tina Turner. Ike, of course, is a great bluesman. So let's continue with

Ike Turner.

(Hi, Vic!)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Underrated bluesman that he is, Ike Turner is even less well-known for his early work as a talent scout for Modern Records in LA; around the same time he and his Kings of Rhythm were working as a session band, backing the likes of Howlin' Wolf, Robert Nighthawk, Buddy Guy and

Elmore James

ReplyQuote
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member

The young Elmore James first started playing his "Diddley" bow inbetween cotton picking untill he brought his first guitar in his early teens.

For a brief period Elmore joined forces with his cousin and played regular house parties and various events. In 1937 he moved to Greenville, Mississippi, where he began playing with Sonny Boy Williamson (II) and Robert Johnsons unofficial step son; Robert Junior Lockwood.

Eventually he met Robert Johnson himself and interperated Johnson's song "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom", after Johnson's murder in 1938 Elmore feared for his life and took a job in his stepbrothers radio shop.

From Elmore James to Robert Johnson

"We Are The Facilitators Of Our Own Creative Evolution".

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Whatever the facts behind the rumours of the hearsay surrounding his extraordinary talent, Robert Johnson was one of the most influential bluesmen of all time. Some of his songs, like 'Kind Hearted Woman' and 'Sweet Home Chicago', not to mention 'Dust My Broom' (which was covered so remarkably by Elmore James) are among the most recorded blues ever written. His influence extends throughout contemporary blues, but particularly to artists like Muddy Waters, John Hammond Jr., and

Peter Green

ReplyQuote
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member

Peter Green (Originally Greenbaum) started playing bass in amature bands before joining 'Peter B's Looners' as lead guitarist. When Eric Clapton left the Bluesbreakers for a brief period, Green approached John Mayall, who had in the mean time hired another guitarist to replace Clapton. After persistent requests from Green, Mayall invited him to sit in with the band one day and actually hired him to replace Clapton, which he did for three gigs untill Clapton's return to the Bluesbreakers.

When Clapton left the band for good Peter green was immediately hired as the permanent replacement for....

Eric Clapton

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Clapton has worked with some remarkable musicians over the years, and has been especially blessed in his collaborations with bass players. Immediately one thinks of John McVie and Jack Bruce, but IMHO one of the most interesting and by far the most underrated was that tragic genius of the electric bass

Ric Grech

ReplyQuote
(@cooker)
Estimable Member

Jimmy Page..played with Neil Christian and the Crusaders early in his career....amongst the members of that band was one : Ritchie Blackmore

You can sleep when you`re dead!
"and baby all you need...is just a little more love"

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Sorry Cooker! That's a good connection from Page to Blackmore, but...

What you have to do is show a connection with the previous musician - in this case Mr Grech - as Pet did, connecting "my" Peter Green with "her" EC through John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, and the fact that the one succeeded the other as Mayall's lead guitarist. Savvy?

ReplyQuote
(@cooker)
Estimable Member

Sorry Pv ,I was multi-tasking and answered from the first page,,my bad...

So from Ric Grech to...? have to admit I had to look this one up...Ric played in many bands with many well known artist`s during his career which ended with his passing in 1990 some of which were Blind Faith and Traffic. He also played with the band " The Crickets" of Buddy Holly fame in the early seventies along with another great talent....

Albert Lee

You can sleep when you`re dead!
"and baby all you need...is just a little more love"

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Another underrated player, Cooker!

Albert Lee has worked with, and stepped into the shoes of, many well-known musicians over the years, working with Jerry Lee Lewis, John Prine, Emmylou Harris, The Everly Brothers, Eric Clapton and Gerry Hogan, to name a few at random.

One of his more recent slots has been with the band of another excellent bass player, the Rhythm Kings, fronted by

Bill Wyman

ReplyQuote
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member

Bill Wyman also found fame as the bassist for 'The Rolling Stones' for many many years. After Wyman left the band in 1991, the band never permanently replaced Wyman, instead using various other musicians for sessions, recording and concerts. One of those musicians was Darryl Jones, who has recorded with the likes of Herbie Hancock, Sting, Peter Gabriel, and Joan Armatrading. He was also a member of the......

*Miles Davis*

Band in the early 1980's.

(Wyman 47 - Mandy 13... Ewwwwww. Didn't Garry Glitter go to jail for that?)

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

At age 47, Bill Wyman, began a relationship with 13-year old Mandy Smith, with her mother's blessing. Six years later, they were married, but the marriage only lasted a year. Not long after, Bill's 30-year-old son Stephen married Mandy's mother, age 46. That made Stephen a stepfather to his former stepmother. If Bill and Mandy had remained married, Stephen would have been his father's father-in-law and his own grandpa. {source: Wikipedia) - Yeah, well, that's quite enough on that subject...

The list of musicians who worked with Miles Davis over the years is truly formidable, but one of my favourites, and another bassist (in fact the bassist I'd most like to play like if I went back to bass as my main instrument) is the glorious

Marcus Miller

ReplyQuote
Page 12 / 14