A hard chord to play

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I hope this is a good spot to post this.

I want to know who made up the C6 chord and I would also like to know who can play it?

That is one of the hardest chords I've tried to play and if I'm patient, I can. It takes about 15 seconds for my fingers to get there.

HOW the (you know what) do you stretch your pinky to play the G? Maybe there's an easier way to play it?

I'm dying here. :(

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I don't have my guitar handy, but there are different ways to play it. Justpick out the notes of it and transpose them until you find an easier way to play it. There must also be some ways to play it with open strings.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Sixths aren't hard when you figure out what they really are. C6=C-E-G-A.... and Am7 = A-C-E-G.

So the easiest way to finger it is:

x02010

Plenty of other voicings are available too.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Am7 isn't really a substitution for C6 - it's a synonym. The chord spellings are identical - with synonymns the chord sound is identical, but the name will change to fit the progression.

If it's used in something like Em7-> ? -> Dm7 - G7 - C it'd be called Am7 (so the progression follows iii-vi-ii-V-I)... if it's used in Dm7-> G7 -> ? or D7-> ? -> Bbmaj7, it'd be C6.

I don't pay as much attention to the root note in a voicing as I do the top one - the treble tends to be the voice people will hear, and the one you use for voice leading. The most common C6 voicings I use are:

x32210 (CEACE, no fifth)
xx2213 (EACG)
xx5555 (GCEA)
xx7858 (AGEC)

but as I said... there are tons of others available :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Here's the model I was learning from...

3x221x for fret positions
4x231x for fingering

GxEACx

Great suggestions. I suppose this would apply to any chord one would be having difficulty with.

Awesome knowledge base here!

Thanks very much!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

Hmmm, not sure what happened to my post...sorry if it shows up twice.

Then there are what I call the "Freddie Green" voicings, good if you're playing four-to-the-bar big band rhythm style.

x3525x (CGAE)
8x798x (CAEG)

http://www.dougsparling.com/
http://www.300monks.com/store/products.php?cat=59
http://www.myspace.com/dougsparling
https://www.guitarnoise.com/author/dougsparling/

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I'm trying really hard not to plug my own site, so I'll just link the relevent image directly (below) and hope I'm not stepping over the line :)

In all seriousness, I find it really helpful to view every possible note in a given chord and figure out my own voicings - very often 'cheating' by playing something easier and similar enough for my purposes. It's why I wrote the site in the first place.

C6 for example, I play as x35555 - far easier than x32210 or x32213 to get to quickly as it's not really much different to a barred CIII, and 'tonally sufficient' in my playing. Having that A note on the last string to be played on a downstroke is handy too, it means I can flick my wrist at the end of the strum and really emphasise the note that makes C6 a 6th in the first place.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

By the way, in answer to your first question, the C6 chord was developed by Volker Heinemann of Bad Homburg on the 3rd of July 1776 as he sat waiting for his wife to pour the morning coffee. She never did, however, having run off with the baker from down the lane.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

So is any major 6th synonymous with its relative minor 7th? That sounds rather useful, I think I'll remember that.

ReplyQuote