Clear all

a little scale trouble

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@guitargeek)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, ive been writing songs for a while now but am always frustrated with myself that i cant add little bits over my chords. I have never been taught any theory. I try to look up scales on the internet but am lost because my voice is suited to using capos pretty high up on the neck. usually around fret 6. How would i devise something to work say over the G and C chord on capo 6?thank you

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Using a capo changes the chords, but keeps the same fingering. With a capo on the 6th fret, you're actually playing Db (G fingering) and Gb (C fingering).

The keys that contain both those chords are going to be Db and Gb. (This isn't true across the board - the more chords you use, the fewer keys they'll all fit) So you might try playing in Db major, Gb major, or the Db or Gb pentatonic major - which will have the same fingerings as the Eb and Bb pentatonic minor scales.

By the way, those scales are the actual pitch. If you're going to play them with the capo still on, you'll want the fingerings for G major or C major... and their pentatonics (which will finger the same as Em and Am)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@guitargeek)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

ah ok i think i get it..let me get this right. if i wanted to play something over the chords with the capo ON then i would use EM pentatonic for example but if i wanted to play it without capo it would be Db major etc?

also another random question i just need answering. do most acoustic guitars come with the same (ish) gauge strings? because i want to change my strings but have no idea what gague they are already.

ReplyQuote