Clear all

transposing to a minor key

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

if a song is in the key of c, i know that if i want to transpose it to d all i have to do is move each chord shape up 2 frets (providing no open strings).
however, how would i transpose into a minor key, how could i put it for example in the key of d minor - would i just move up 2 frets and play all minor chords, or is there much more to it than that?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Why would you transpose it to a minor key? Won't that change the character of the song -- make it a different song instead of a song in a different key?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Transposing just means shifting the overall pitch of the song up or down, so if it's major it stays major. If it's minor it stays minor.
You could shift the pitch AND change the mode from major to minor or vice versa, if you're feeling adventurous and want to experiment, but as Musenfreund says, it will be a completely different song.

To do that, you would construct the same chords but from the minor scale instead of the major. However, as there are three distinct forms of the minor scale that can be freely used, you would have multiple choices for some of the chords.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I LOVE putting familiar major key tunes into minor keys. Puts a new character on them, for sure!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I think it is in his 1st symphony where Mahler uses the very famous Frère Jacques melody and changes it to a minor tonality. The feelings are amazing!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yes, it is the 1st symphony, 3rd movement. I doubted if it was the 5th. Sorry, my memory is starting to fail... :cry:

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsf0xJvlMuw

ReplyQuote
(@chasing_time)

I don't understand you but I will answer~ when you're playin C Major then drop down low to D then things change you gotto pull a long falsetto to do this. Never seen a song start on falsetto again!

C-D but I may be wrong, you people are much more experience than me.

" Stalking is a sign of desperateness, a psychological problem hence a disease."

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Yes, it is the 1st symphony, 3rd movement. I doubted if it was the 5th. Sorry, my memory is starting to fail... :cry:

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsf0xJvlMuw

Oh cool, that's the type of thing I may not have picked up on right away, but as soon as you mentioned it it was really obvious. Thanks for the link.

ReplyQuote