Clear all

“Music Theory for Guitarists” question

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

If you don't have “Music Theory for Guitarists,” good luck understanding this post. LOL

Yo Tom,

In chapter XV the four basic triads make perfect sense to me. You have MM, Mm, mM and mm. There is no examples that throwed me off so I moved on to chapter XVII. We add the seventh chord and now we have 8 possible sevenths. MMM, MMm, MmM, Mmm, mMM, mMm, mmM, mmm. I write them all out starting on C.

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D#

MmM = C E G B
mMM = C Eb G B
etc.

Everything is fine until I get to the bottom of page 91:

The first example says it's a C major 7 flat 3rd, but on page 90 the same example calls it a minor seventh. I'm guessing that's a typo and page 90's supposed to be a minor seventh added to a minor triad and page 91 is right, if so I'm back onto the right track…

Next, the second example on the bottom of page 91.

A G# and Bb don't exactly work with any of our MMM, MmM etc. schemes:

There is only two half steps between the G# and Bb. I thought I was I only working with eight possibilities?

So what I am asking is how did you derive the second example on the bottom of page 91. Also the 4th example (C 9th Aug 5th) on page 92. The 5th example (c9th flat 5) on page 92 and the 7th(C aug 9th). The rest seem to fit one of the 16 stacked thirds.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Argh, the typo demons!

On p. 90, you add a minor seventh to a minor triad to get a minor seventh chord. Unfortunately, both the notation and the diagrams show B natural - that matches the text on p.91 for the major 7 b5.

The second one at the bottom of p.91, the aug/maj7 should be B natural - the major seventh mentioned in the text right above it.

You're right about the 3 chords on p. 92 - they have either a diminished third or an augmented third in them, so they're not part of the 16 natural combinations - when we reprint, I'll move those to a new section on altered chords (I get into those in the lesson I wrote for GN)

Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for catching them!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK - cool. On to the 11th and 13th chords. I'll let you know how that goes. :)

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Now that's customer service. :lol:

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote