Clear all

Am progression

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

HI was just listening to a clip on u tube and he said in the Am chord progression the chords are Am Dm F then he says E so may question is where he got the E I know Am Dm F is I, III, V PROGRESSION or is that how it works ?

Here is the link its worth looking at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhemILOuBNE&mode=related&search=

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

HI was just listening to a clip on u tube and he said in the Am chord progression the chords are Am Dm F then he says E so may question is where he got the E I know Am Dm F is I, III, V PROGRESSION or is that how it works ?

Here is the link its worth looking at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhemILOuBNE&mode=related&search=

No, Frank. Am, Dm F isn't a I, III V progression, it's a i, iv, VI progression (lower case for minors, upper case for majors)

The E major is chord V, composed of notes E, G# & B. The G# comes from the harmonic form of the A minor scale (ABCDEFG#).

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

No, Frank. Am, Dm F isn't a I, III V progression, it's a i, iv, VI progression (lower case for minors, upper case for majors)

The E major is chord V, composed of notes E, G# & B. The G# comes from the harmonic form of the A minor scale (ABCDEFG#).

Is the progression is i iv VI V?

can you just put any chord progression as long as they are in the same key ?

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Is the progression is i iv VI V?

can you just put any chord progression as long as they are in the same key ?

Yes and yes.

In fact, they don't even have to be in the same key.

Look at the opening chord progression to the Beatles "I am the Walrus" :
B - A - G - F - E - E7 - D - D7 - A - etc.

No single key contains all those chords.

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

so its all up to yourself put what ever you feel sounds good is that the way ?

now why all the theory ?lol

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

so its all up to yourself put what ever you feel sounds good is that the way ?

now why all the theory ?lol

I hope you haven't been thinking all this time that music comes from theory. :shock:
It's the other way round. Theory comes from music.

John Lennon didn't consult any theory books before coming up with that chord progression. But you can be sure that, after it was released, hundreds of "theorists" pounced on it and scrutinised it intensely in order to explain why it works.

So what use is theory to musicians? It lets them predict the effects of their musical decisions based on the experience of others.

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I hope you haven't been thinking all this time that music comes from theory. :shock:
It's the other way round. Theory comes from music.

Now who said you dont learn something new every day

ReplyQuote
(@blindsouris)

So you mean the minor harmonic scale of A, because A is the natural relative scale of C major normaly is the G note. why for harmonic contruction ( chords) they use a half-tone interval (G#-A) in place of full tone as in the melodic?

Thank you by advance
Blind

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

So you mean the minor harmonic scale of A, because A is the natural relative scale of C major normaly is the G note. why for harmonic contruction ( chords) they use a half-tone interval (G#-A) in place of full tone as in the melodic?

Thank you by advance
Blind

Hi Blind, and welcome to the forum.

I'm not quite sure what your question is so I'll answer what I think you're asking.

The natural minor scale of A is ABCDEFGA. As you noted, it contains exactly the same notes as the scale of C major (CDEFGABC), which is why it's classed as the "relative minor of C major".

The harmonic minor scale of A is ABCDEFG#A.

The reason it contains G# is because, centuries ago, composers, when composing in the key of A minor, often preferred the sound of G# to G, especially in certain chord (harmonic) progressions. The fact that G# is only a semitone below the key note A gave it a more powerful feeling of movement.

This practice became so widespread among composers that music theorists had to make a new form of the scale containing G# instead of G, to reflect the new practice. Logically enough it became known as the HARMONIC MINOR because of its usefulness in HARMONY, (chord progressions etc).

In classical usage, the melodic minor scale you mentioned ALSO has a semitone gap between notes 7 & 8 when rising but a full tone gap when descending: ABCDEF#G#AGFEDCBA

The key of A minor is used just as an example. It applies equally to ALL minor keys

ReplyQuote
(@blindsouris)

thank you for your informations and more you are able to understand my pseudo English.

Mike

ReplyQuote