chord accompaniment

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

To argus:

what do the triangles represent?

i would argue that point about the b7 note in a dominant seventh chord wanting to resolve to the major third.

it isnt really 'suspended' anywhere that needs to be resolved i dont think, i can almost guarentee your right and i know i am wrong but still, i must just like to debate things.

i think the b7 on a V7 chord just, keeps the previous tonality of the key you were in, with one slightly altered one so it doesnt sound THAT different, but that note is also a major part in the key you are going to.

its like down in fifth's but ascending the cycle of fourth's?
i think thats what is doing.

like, C and F are similar, and Bb is the ONLY different note and the b7 introduces this "new note"

keep it going...

from F to Bb.

the only different note there is an Eb.. and without working it out i am taking a guess Eb will be the b7 note.

so..

F7.

F A C Eb

i wonder if an F° with a b7 would help the resolution even more, it still has 3 notes in its key, but this time TWO notes in the new key (the only two notes that are different)

actually, combining them

V7 then V7b5 the fifth moves down a semi-tone, working as a dominant seventh then a diminished dominant to use notes in both keys that will make the movement flow but also connects it smoothly.

i might use that idea in my next composition (it'll give me a few paragraphs to put in my write-up).

..i think i went way off track, sorry lol.

Edit

Just want to clarify my idea..

F G A Bb C D E F
Bb C D Eb F G A Bb

so the dominant seventh of Bb, lower the fifth, make it diminished then tonic of the key.

G Bb D ........(ii in F)
C E G ..........(V in F)
-move to Bb-
F A C Eb ..........V7 of Bb
F A Bb Eb .........V7b5 in Bb
Bb D F .......................tonic

ReplyQuote
(@argus)
Reputable Member

To argus:

what do the triangles represent?

Major 7

And your way makes more sense.

ReplyQuote
(@24frets)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey, the D7 and F#dim have the same notes!

Stupidity is wit for the simple-I think I made that up

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Hey, the D7 and F#dim have the same notes!

Not quite, but close and the can substitute for each other.  

D7 is D-F#-A-C

F#dim is F#-A-C

The important part as far as dominant function of the chord goes is the tritone F#-C which causes tension and dissonance and a need to resolve to the tonic (G).

F# ---> G
C   ---> B

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2