Clear all

Chord inversions and other things.

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

OK Ok I understand the concept of inversions ^^, but, look at this.

For example, play an Am7 shape, and if u dont play the A and play onwards from the 4th string, youve got a C inversion, so when Im playing this, do I call this an Am7 or a C inversion, cause I might hit the A string sometimes when I strum o.o.

Or should I call it whatever fits in with the rest of the harmony ? <--- Guess this is the correct answer, I call it whatever fits with the context because the chord is not named by the notes in it, it is named for the harmony, ok I understand ^^, another question.

When I repeat a note, like for example in a C chord I put my pinky in the E string, adding G, what do we call this ?

Cause I use that alot, like when fingerpicking, I change the E string alot and make a melody from it while playing the other notes as a base, and Idk what to call it, sometimes I do change the chord ( like for example add 9 or add 11 ) or whatver but its just to play that note and move the melody.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

play an Am7 shape, and if u dont play the A and play onwards from the 4th string, youve got a C inversion, so when Im playing this, do I call this an Am7 or a C inversion

Chord names depend on context - if the progression calls for Am7, it's Am7 - whether you play the A or not; if it calls for C, it's C (or C6 when the A is included).

Inversions aren't named for the root - rather than say "C inversion", you'd say "1st inversion". That says the first note above the root is the bass. For Am7, if E is the bass that's second inversion, and if G is the bass that's third inversion.
Or should I call it whatever fits in with the rest of the harmony ? <--- Guess this is the correct answer

You guess right.
When I repeat a note, like for example in a C chord I put my pinky in the E string, adding G, what do we call this ?

Doubling.
sometimes I do change the chord ( like for example add 9 or add 11 ) or whatver but its just to play that note and move the melody.

When you do that, its just part of the melody. It doesn't change the chord name - it's considered a "non-harmonic tone"

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

For example, play an Am7 shape, and if u dont play the A and play onwards from the 4th string, youve got a C inversion, so when Im playing this, do I call this an Am7 or a C inversion, cause I might hit the A string sometimes when I strum o.o.

Or should I call it whatever fits in with the rest of the harmony ? <--- Guess this is the correct answer, I call it whatever fits with the context because the chord is not named by the notes in it, it is named for the harmony, ok I understand ^^, another question.

yup, that's the right answer - when a chord has more than one possible name, you'd name the chord based on the harmony of the piece it appeared in.

well...I'd just call it a C chord. In classical harmony I was taught that note doubling (in this case playing the G note on the third string open, and an octave higher, on the 1st string 3rd fret) was standard practice, and never had a specific name to denote it. This is one reason why learning to notate and read dots is a great tool for a musician though - if you want that C chord to have two G notes you can write it on a stave and it will look a lot clearer even to a beginner than if you tried to give the chord a special name in a chord chart.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yeeeey I am learning, I wrote the question about inversions then answered my own question :D.

Ok so non-harmonic tone <--- so I can put any tone I want in there ( with varying results ) of course If I put any sharp note in a C chord Ill get a good schreeching sound :).

Ok another question :

Can a song be in a key, lets say the key of C without actually using a C in the song, for example:

A chord progression goes F to E to D, ahh no wait, that is in the key of D minor, wait then this leads to another question.

Even if there is no D minor in that chord progression, can it still be in the key of D minor ? Hmm, well I guess it prolly wont sound good unless it does have that D minor instead of D because the F and F# would sound dissonant.

Ahh I think I just answered my own questions. Sorry, they just click when I write them out.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote