Clear all

Chord Naming

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I read the recent thread on C9 vs Add9 which then led into discussion of suspended chords and thought I'd throw this out there. I was looking at a song in a recent issue of GW and saw this chord:

(low to high) x 5 4 7 5 0
D F# D E E

It was labeled in the book as Dsus2, but I would personally call this a Dadd9, even though there is no 5th. You are not altering the third, so it can't be suspended. That said, the double high e notes definately give it that kind of sound....

What does everyone think?

by the way, haven't posted in a bit, been busy. Hope everyone is doing well. :)

Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

1: D
2: E
3: F#
5: A
9: E

A Dsus2 would be D, E, A. A Dadd9 would be D, F#, A, E. IMHO this is simply a Dadd9(no5).

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It can't be a sus chord if it has a third in it, so Dsus2 is just plain old wrong.

Most chord spellings can be named in more than one way, and the correct name depends on the context. With notes D-F#-E, the more likely possibilities are:

Dadd9 = D-F#-(A)-E
E9 = E-(G#)-(B)-D-F#
Bm/11 = (B)-D-F#-E
Gmaj7/13 = (G)-(B)-D-F#-E

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yup thats what I thought too. Guitar World goofed.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

They all do it at times. I was gonna write to Guitar Player a few months back about something similar, but I decided not to waste my time :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote