Counting 32's

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi again folks !
I know how to count quarter notes (1,2,3,4) eights (1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and), sixteens (1 ee and a 2 ee and a etc) but what about thirty seconds? I saw some rhythm exercises with 32's in the same bars as eights and quarters, and I dont' know how to count the,. Any insights?

all the best

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

At most tempos, 32nd notes are too short to use syllables for counting. I just count the 16ths, and make the 32nd notes half as long :)

If you've got something really complicated - say, syncopated 32nds - I'd cut the tempo in half... then you'd count them like 16ths (with eighth notes for the 'beat') until you get the feel for it. After that, you'd play the same pattern on each count and each 'and', and you'll have it.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

At most tempos, 32nd notes are too short to use syllables for counting. I just count the 16ths, and make the 32nd notes half as long :)

If you've got something really complicated - say, syncopated 32nds - I'd cut the tempo in half... then you'd count them like 16ths (with eighth notes for the 'beat') until you get the feel for it. After that, you'd play the same pattern on each count and each 'and', and you'll have it.
Thanks again Tom!!
all the best

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I agree with Noteboat, when I was first trying to feel 16th note triplet notes I did this:

with your foot, tap out quarter notes to a moderately slow beat (probably to start out, 60 BPM or so if you're using a metronome), now with one of your hands tap out triplet notes.

So your feet are counting "1, 2, 3, 4" and your ONE hand is counting "1 trip-let, 2 trip-let, 3 trip-let, 4 trip-let". Now try to take your other hand and tap evenly in between every triplet note "1 + trip + let + 2 + trip + let + 3 + trip + let + 4 + trip + let". You can do this this with 32nd notes too, just tap 16th notes with one hand and tap in between every note with your other hand.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I agree with Noteboat, when I was first trying to feel 16th note triplet notes I did this:

with your foot, tap out quarter notes to a moderately slow beat (probably to start out, 60 BPM or so if you're using a metronome), now with one of your hands tap out triplet notes.

So your feet are counting "1, 2, 3, 4" and your ONE hand is counting "1 trip-let, 2 trip-let, 3 trip-let, 4 trip-let". Now try to take your other hand and tap evenly in between every triplet note "1 + trip + let + 2 + trip + let + 3 + trip + let + 4 + trip + let". You can do this this with 32nd notes too, just tap 16th notes with one hand and tap in between every note with your other hand.
that's really cool! thanks

ReplyQuote