Notifications
Clear all

D major chord

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Is it fair to say that in the vast majority of cases guitar notation would then list that particular voicing as a D/F# so as to distinguish it from a typical voicing with D in the bass, as per this notation from the Grove Dictionary of Music?

Chord notation is neither explicit nor precise. Most musicians will add or subtract from a chord chart to suit their own arrangement ideas as they play.

Even if someone gives a slash notation, such as D/F#, it is not at all clear what the voicing of that inversion should be, so it could be F#,A,D or F#,D, A or F#, A, D, F# or F#, D, A, D or F#, F#, A, D and on and on

They all sound different.

In my experience, most charts either don't include slashes much at all, and when they appear they tend to confuse rather than clarify. When I play I tend to add inversions as I need to to make the bass line flow and to add interest.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2