Clear all

D minor chord - fingering

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Most people don't touch the bottom E string when playing a D chord - I however like to use all six wherever possible so play the 6th string at the 2nd fret to give a F# bass note.......

So if I'm playing a D minor chord, of which F# is no longer a component, should I drop the bass note to the F note - 1st fret, bottom E string? I could always omit it altogether.........

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

If you want the sixth string, you could play the D minor at the tenth fret on the sixth string:

Otherwise you're playing either a D/F# or a Dm/F# according to your description. Right?
If you decide to grab the F on the sixth string, you'd have a Dm/F.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Now this is where I get confused - normal D chord - which I play with my thumb on the 2nd fret, 6th string - you're saying that should be labelled D/F# - is that because the bass note, F#, is not the root of the D chord, even though it is the third......?

I've tried the F bass note on the Dmin chord - only difference it seems to make is a fuller sound.........

What I'm getting at , the D with the F# bass and the Dmin with the F bass - aren't they simply alternate voicings rather than "slash" chords? After all, these bass notes are simply a mirror of the top "E" (1st ) string.........or is it to do withh the root of the chord? And is this why some people don't even play the 5th string (A - open) on both chords - would you call this D/A if you played the top 5 strings and muted the 6th?

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

They are other voicings, properly called inversions. You're playing the first inversion (3rd as bass note). The 2nd inversion would have an A (the 5th) in the bass

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

This is typically listed as a D/F#

2 0 0 2 3 2

That's what you're playing, right?

And this is listed as a Dm/F#

2 0 0 2 3 1

This
1 x 0 2 3 1
or this
1 0 0 2 3 1

as Dm/F

Isn't that what you're describing?

It may be that they're also described as inversions, but the slash in the chord simply indicates that you're playing the F# as the bass note instead of the root. At least that's how I understand it.

Here's my reference, by the way:
Howard's huge chord dictionary D chord section

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Yes, they don't play the E and A so the D can be the root.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It may be that they're also described as inversions, but the slash in the chord simply indicates that you're playing the F# as the bass note instead of the root. At least that's how I understand it.

This is the bit I was trying to get straight in my head - I think I understand now. As I said, I originally learned the D chord with the F# bass note on the bottom E and was wondering if this was actually wrong?

Thanks guys...........

:) :) :)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's not wrong at all. To form a major chord, all you need is the 1st, 3rd, and 5th of the scale - for D, that's D, F#, A. As long as those three notes are present (an no other notes), it doesn't matter how many times they appear, or on which strings, it's still a D chord.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote