Clear all

Interval Applications

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I know how intervals work in relation to each other, and can build scales and chords by using notes and such, but I am having a bit of trouble applying this knowledge to assist in creating songs of my own. Here's an example of what I'm talking about: In the June 2004 issue of guitar one there is a little blurb about Jason Becker, involving a solo which he plays using mainly pentatonic scales. They break down the piece in several aspects, including one entitled theory:

"...Here, he takes a three note pattern that begins n the B and E strings, and moves it down diatonically within the E minor pentatonic scale, first using slides and then moving vertically. The 4th intervals lend the lick a mdern vibe."

That last bit, what does that mean? Essentially, I'm trying to find rules of thumb to use when composing that can assist me, such as "4th intervals give a modern rock sound," or something like that. Can anyone give me a hand?

Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

I tend to pshaw such forms of analyzation, but the 4th interval means the perfect fourth, 5 half steps, and he is saying that this interval is part of the new sound, which is fairly specific, to say that using a certain interval or chord defines a certain style,

Chris Juergensen's site has lots of good lessons on basslines, melodies, and harmony in songwriting

http://www.chrisjuergensen.com

you should also sift through this site if you're loooking for inspiration

another thing is the theory developed behind chord structure and movement is really massive, and there aren't any all-encompassing "rules of thumb" you just want to try and pick out as many tools/concepts as you can and practice with them until you've implemented all the little puzzle pieces into a picture,

I'd suggest getting a music textbook from your library like "Harmony"

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

what are "the rules of thumb".. thats part of Pistons "Harmony".. about voice leading.. never knew what exactly it was or what it means..

the last part (i think) means that 4th intervals arent used in traditional music but are in modern.. big rock songs..

perfect fourth intervals are dissonant (without a third underneath it)

and that is kinda the modern dissonant vibe in those intervals when used in songs..

i think thats what it is getting at..

kinda surprised their talking about Jason Becker in June 2004 Guitar magazines...

he hasnt played a guitar for almost 20 years (his condition)

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, that really is too bad about his ALS, he was a great player.

:(

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

you ever downloaded the video "Jason Becker : The Ledgent Of".. i think its a film (made on the net) not buyable..

its a compalation of his vid's.. interviews with people talking about him, news reports.. home clips of him playing and as a kid and stuff.. its really good.. but very sad.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

No, never heard of it. But I'll keep my eyes open for it from now on. Thanks for the tip!

M

ReplyQuote