Skip to content
Fooling Around With...

Notifications
Clear all

Fooling Around With Am Pentatonic Scale....

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I have been fooling around with the Am Pentatonic Scale..specifically the "Albert King Box" (I guess Albert King used these few notes quite a bit in his playing)).

e|----------8-----------10------------------------------|
B|----------8-----------10------------------------------|
G|----------------9-------------------------------------|
D|------------------------------------------------------|
A|------------------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------------------|

I was just toying with this because it had a sad sound and that was the mood I was in at the time. I found out by accident that even notes outside of this box not necessarily in the scale itself actually fit quite well:

Just some of the "extra" notes

e|----------7------------12------------------------------|
B|----------7------------12------------------------------|
G|----------7--------------------------------------------|
D|----------7----9---------------------------------------|
A|----------7----9---------------------------------------|
E|----------7-------10-----------------------------------|

There were a few more as well. Some of them needed to be preceeded and followed by certain notes in order for them to fit. Others I could not focus on...meaning land on one for an extended period of time.

I read in a lesson somewhere (it may have been on GN) that can happen. But I didn't realize that it would be this many notes. Is there a "theoretical" explanation for the phenomenon ? Is this more common in the pentatonic scale or will all scales have this happen?

Thanks

(@shredgeek)
Eminent Member

Quite possibly you could be adding some notes to give the impression of A dorian.

Here is a link to a diagram I made for you to show you how the notes you are playing relate to each other by comparing them within a A Pentatonic and A Dorian.

the link to the picture is

I hope this helps some.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

First off shredgeek I want to say your site is AWESOME so far! Great work! Next I want to say thanks for the explanation!

ReplyQuote
(@shredgeek)
Eminent Member

Thanks I'm glad you like it.

Remember I said quite possisibly A dorian? Well I said that for a reason but I forgot to mention why...and the reason is, is that, the F# and B notes are the only thing that differs from those two scales. But you may not neccessarily be playing A dorian. Because how you play what you posted ie what order and what timing you give each note could be implying some other mode where the tonality focus is not on the A note......you could be playing in G Ionian (Major) too since it has the same notes or even some other mode:)

ReplyQuote