Notifications
Clear all

Fretboard Logic Series

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@worldofwitt)
Topic starter  

I have been playing and practicing around an hour a day now for the past 3 months, and have recently discovered the Fretboard Logic series which uses the CAGED method. Any comments on how well this series addresses Guitar related Music Theory? So far I really like it, it has helped me learn what chords I am playing and how to play other chords in relation, but of course, as a begginer I want to make sure I am taking the best approach possible to learning theory.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the musical madhouse.

It's a good book. (I only worked with the first book which my teacher thought was really the crucial one).

It works with theory because it allows you to see the way that chords and scales overlay the fretboard. Theory derives from a Greek term meaning "to see". You could argue that music theory is indeed about learning to see the patterns that structure music. Learning about patterns in music is, in a sense, learning theory.

Hope that's not too roundabout an answer to your question. On a more concrete level, after you've finished the first book anyway you'll be much more familiar with chord inversions.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@mrjazzclassicalmetalshred)
Trusted Member

Thanks. I will probably check that out now.

Album progress:15%

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

One thing I've heard, and I have to agree with, is that the books certainly have the potential to go over beginners' heads. I wouldn't toss a beginner into them in their first few months, unless it happened to be a really dedicated beginner. They do assume that you're reasonably intelligent and familiar with the basics of movable chords, which I think it something most beginners don't hit for a couple months at least.

Beyond that, however... get the book. They're always cheap and if you are getting serious about guitar and have a little experience under your belt, it can only help. At the very least, it will help you to understand the layout of the fretboard better, at the best, it can redefine your soloing strategy.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@worldofwitt)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the feedback. I did have a grasp on the basic open chords before picking up the book, and I think thats really all that one needs. I'm learning the lead patterns right now, although I'm still fumbling through the barre chords.

also, after posting my question, I discovered an interview with the author thats actually on the guitar noise website, so I guess these are the books for me right now. Thanks again.

ReplyQuote