Clear all

How do i "learn" music theory?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@idiot85204)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

well i need to know more about music theory in general. I was in band and took lessons on guitar for a while and i have some basic knowledge. How to construct scales somewhat how to construct chords. Im not really sure how to increase my knowledge. Should i just write songs or something like that? Thanks for advice.

(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

well, music theory is one of the most vast subjects I've ver involved myself in, so you should start by specifying one part of theory to study. I'll mention some of those after my second advice.

Resources are everywhere! The internet is good, books are better, and these forums fill in all the cracks, and answer all your struly stupefying questions, which you will have a lot of :D

Here's some subjects to investigate:

Chord structure-different ways to play the same chord(voicings), triads, harmonized 7ths, dissonance, progressions

Scales-modes, exotic scales, pentatonics, improvising on licks

Writing-key changes, harmony, melody, orchestration

here's one good site for the basics
http://www.musictheory.net
its all piano-based, but still very good, theres lots of books out there nowadays which model how to apply theory to the guitar

I hope you enjoy yourself, music theory is quitean undertaking to study, an the way you can write and think with this stuff is pretty amazing

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I agree that you should pick a theory topic first, then start learning about it and moving right along into the next. You can probably do it all right here too. 8)

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

Well this is the question isnt it.

Kido

ReplyQuote