Clear all

How important is learning theory?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sally45)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I was just wondering if knowing some guitar theory is a must in the guitar world. I've taken maybe 2 lessons to understand some basic concepts but learning all these scales and things doesn't really intrest me..I guess I figure I don't play screaming guitar solos so I wont really use em. So in other words....how much theory is enough?

(@burgermeister)
Eminent Member

.....how much theory is enough?

Personally, I don't think you can ever get enough. As you gain more experience and become more proficient, you'll probably find that you actually want, or need to find out more. However, when you're first starting out, theory can seem like a real pain in the back side. I'm of the opinion that you worry about the basics of playing open chords first. Learn to play them in common progression - which means you need a little theory to figure out what chords go together. At some point you'll want to start learning what notes makes up the chords so you can figure out 7th, 9ths etc. and that will require a little more theory. Eventually you may want to figure out how to play a melody line over top of a chord progression and again, you'll need a little theory to help figure it out. Theory is everywhere, but there's not need to tax your brain, especially at first. Get a handle on the instrument, get used to playing some basic stuff and you'll probably find that you become natuarally inquisitive to find out the theory you need to progress to the next level.

Hope that makes some sense.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I'm with Burger on this. Theory will come. At least, that which you want to and need to learn. It's not a requirement to learn to play basic or even some intermediate guitar. But to move forward, you will need to learn some things. As for scales, it really isn't that difficult. You learn the pattern and the make up of a scale and transpose it to other keys.

Then again, I'm sure there are some guitarists out thee that play awsome but don't understand a thing about what they are doing. Everybody is unique that way.

BTW- when you start learning some theory, you'll most likkely find it intriguing (spelling?) and intersting. Look into chord construction and you might find it something that really helps your playing.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@sally45)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the advice

burger-"I'm of the opinion that you worry about the basics of playing open chords first." -it was only my first couple of theory lessons...I've taught myself for about a year and 1/2 now-maybe should of said that in the origonal post

sirN- "BTW- when you start learning some theory, you'll most likkely find it intriguing (spelling?) and intersting. Look into chord construction and you might find it something that really helps your playing." 1. intriguing is spelled right! and 2. I found a couple good chord theory sites that seemed to enlighten me a little more-thanks.

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

Someone put it on another post, but a musician who doesn't want to learn about theory is like a doctor who doesn't want to learn about medicine. Theory is very cool, and alot easier than you think. This is so becuase, like math, theory concepts build on one another. So chances are if you know only about 1/100 of all the theory there is to know, with alot of effort and thought, you can figure the other 99% of it out on your own.

But don't force yourself to learn theory. I agree with the other posts. Of course it doesn't seem interesting at first, but as you progress, you will want it, trust me. And if it's the case that you don't want it, then don't worry. If you are happy the way things are without theory, then you shouldn't force yourself to learn it.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

Ummm....wouldn't you be learning theory everytime you learn something new on the guitar?? wether you realize it or not?? And wouldn't you be applying theory learned, when you practice that which you already have learned??? Or am I way off here?

All you know about me is what I've sold you. I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip sh#t, And you bought one. ~Maynard James Keenan~

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

:? I would have to agree, If you want to play more than just Tabs then you need to learn some theory, I'm not saying reading music charts, but learning some basic scales and how they apply to chords, you don't have to learn every scale out there, but learn the Major and Minor Pentatonic scales they will help alot, I know for me when I could listen to a song and then start applying some chords and scales that worked, you find you can play along and sound good without playing it exactly like the guitar player in the song and still make it sound good, is much more rewarding for me than playing Tabs ever was, Also gives you a chance to develope your own style, Can't do that without Knowing some theory. I realy like to play along with concert DVD's helps when you see the guitar Players you can pick up on things from watching them, and it is good for Practice like being part of the band.

ReplyQuote