Clear all

interval names

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@trustytrout)
Topic starter  

Hello,

Perhaps someone can help me here. In general, both intervals and compound intervals make sense to me. However, after reading one of the articles on intervals I noticed that a few names seem to be missing. Here's the question. What is an interval of 22 semitones/halfsteps called? 23? These seem possible but are not named in any chart I can find. Also, is 18 semitones still called a tritone? Thanks VERY much for the help.

Matt

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

A couple things, Matt...

Compound intervals are usually reduced by an octave for analysis, so a tenth is considered the same as a third, etc.

The other thing is that intervals are defined by the notes involved, not the sounds they make. 22 half steps could be:

A double diminished octave - or fifteenth (C to Cbb)
A minor seventh - or fourteenth (C to Bb)
An augmented sixth - or thirteenth (C to A#)

So you need to know what the notes are going to be called to define the interval.

The tritone isn't an interval per se, it's the sound that results from three whole steps. A diminished fifth or an augmented fourth are intervals - the tritone is the sound of either one of them. So 18 frets is NOT a tritone - it's more than three whole steps.

We often speak of notes (which are only written) and tones (which can only be heard) interchangeably, but in music theory there's a huge difference. That sometimes makes things confusing.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@trustytrout)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply!. This helps very much. Especially the confirmation that an interval of 22 half steps can be considered a 14th. I'm probably just focussing on names too much but I had never seen it termed a 14th. I've seen 10ths, 12ths, 13ths, but a big blank came up here. It was the logical choice but I needed it confirmed. :D

ReplyQuote