Skip to content
Is it possible to g...

Notifications
Clear all

Is it possible to get to the B below middle C on guitar?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, all.

I'm curious as to whether it is possible to play this note, as it's said to be the note which most closely resembles the cosmic vibration of Om. (Excuse me if that sounds strange, but I just wanted to know whether it's feasible.)

Thanks,

Shady

Take care,

Casey

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Go here and scroll almost to the bottom of the page. There is a piano keyboard and diagrams, showing the relative ranges of some other instruments, including guitar.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

The open B string of the guitar, when the guitar is in standard tuning, is tuned to the B immediately below middle C. Guitar music is written an octave higher than it actually is in relation to the piano.

And that's very cool about the Om vibration. Might explain why I like using the open B string so much when playing.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Cool indeed.
Out of curiosity, I 'sang' Ommmm, while I was walking over to my guitar, picked it up, plucked the B string, and I was right in tune with it . . . I hit it dead on.
If I wasn't so busy, I'd research the significance of that particular note . . . you think it might be based on the cosmic vibration of the Earth . . . or something like that?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I think you've hit the nail, Ken. I got it from the teachings of Paramhansa Yogananda, who wrote as such in his book "Cosmic Chants". Thanks, David...thought that might be a bit high-brow for here. :)

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, but Pete Pedantic (i.e. me) found this interesting and started to google (rather than Om).
It seems that the "standard" Om tone is at 136.1 Hz, which somewhere between C (130.813Hz) and C# (138.591 Hz) on the A (5th) string.

There is a "low Om" at 68.05 Hz (an octave below standard Om) and a "higher heart" at 355.5 Hz (between F & F# on the high E string).

None of the references that I've found refer to any B note, whether 123.4, 246.9, 493.8 or whatever.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Right on, Greybeard.

What I neglected to mention is that some people say there is no particular note...something to do, I think, with the concept of Om being "Perfect Sound"...and thus it can't be reproduced as a musical note.

Anyway, B below mid C pretty much suits me..

Shady

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Right on, Greybeard.

What I neglected to mention is that some people say there is no particular note...something to do, I think, with the concept of Om being "Perfect Sound"...and thus it can't be reproduced as a musical note.

Anyway, B below mid C pretty much suits me..

Shady
Om is said to be the note of the Earth (aka Earth chakra), which, according to its proponents, is 136.1 Hz.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote