Clear all

Jimi Hendrix Style

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hendrix, for many of his songs, used some interesting, and to the casual eye "crazy" notes and fingering for his songs. They don't seem to fall into any certain category, but I know they have to, and thats where you guys come in!!

I have been looking like crazy online to find progressions for certain songs, ie Castles made of sand and little wing. I have found out they are based on the circle of fifths/fourths and I understand how they work, but what I don't understand is how he chooses to play the notes he does over these chords. The intro to little wing is a good example, and the whole Castles Made of Sand song is another good one.

Hopefully you guys know what I mean, I'm talking about improvosational fills and whatnot, If anyone can shed light on this I would love it! Thanks,

oh and PS- can anyone give me an exact progression of Castles Made of Sand??

Thanks again.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm betting that he just played what sounded right to him, with little idea of the names of the chords and scales he used. Lots of trial and error.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

The whole intro of Little Wing, if I remember correctly, is pretty much based around standard barre chords, with one or two added notes for flavor. Hendrix did use a lot of interesting fingering chord voicings, but if you've been playing a lot of blues or jazz or funk style chords, you will find you're familiar with the basic forms.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

From the interviews, etc., that I've read and/or seen, Hendrix had no idea of music theory, as we know it. He, apparently, perceived tones as colours.
Perhaps, he simply took tones of similar colour for his playing, but I can't say one way or the other (unfortunately, neither can he).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Learn how to manipulate double stops. SRV was a big hendrix fan, and you'll find a lot of similar elements in his playing (ie p&j,his rendition of little wing) If you are looking for a good tab source, tri ultimate-guitar.com. download powertab, a free tab software program with midi playback. Regular tabs are available as well, bu powertab is the way to go if you ask me...

Matt:)

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote