Clear all

key question

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I wrote my wife a song for our anniversary and have a few questions.

The song is played with a capo at the second fret, and the progression is (in relation to the capo) G C Em D. This song is in the key of A since the root of the new G chord is A right? If so, what is the relative minor so I know what pentatonic sale to use for the solo?

Thanks in advance for yalls help

~Mike the RedneckRocker

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

F# minor

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

That was quick thanks.

Was I right about it being in the key of A?

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yep.

On the guitar, it's easy to find the relative minor... since it's built on the sixth step, and major scales follow a WWHWWWH pattern, it's always 3 half steps (frets) below your key note.

A lot of people screw up the accidentals, though - calling G# minor (relative to B, which is a sharp key) by Ab minor, or F# minor by Gb minor. Not all major keys have a parallel minor and vice versa... sometimes it's the enharmonic name that should be used; the only way to know for sure is to learn the spellings of the major scales :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote