Skip to content
Working on Minor ke...

Notifications
Clear all

Working on Minor keys, and have come to a few questions.

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I was reading DHodge's "Minor Progress" lesson and was coming up with the different chords you can make in each of the 3 minor scales (natural, harmonic, melodic). I was composing chords in the right fashion by using major and minor thirds, but came to a confliction in the harmonic scale.

I was in the key of A, therefore the scale would be ABCDEFG#A

So my confliction(s) came when composing the chord based off of D(IV). In this scale (harmonic), I have D then a minor third to F, then another minor third to G# which would make the chord a Ddim correct?? But in the lesson Hodge states the chord should be a Dm, so I would need that last minor third to be a major, using the notes DFA. A is only 1 step from G#, so the minor/major third could kind of go either way maybe???

I also run into this problem with F (VI), it could be diminished or minor, but Hodge says minor. Same situation as above.

So I trust that DHodge is right, but what is it that I'm missing from this?? I hope you guys understand my problem, I might not have described it very well.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@niliov)
Trusted Member

I Understand your problem, but just remember that chords are built of thirds. The interval from F to G# is an augmented SECOND so not a third. The chord should be (Dm) D - F - A which is indeed a minor chord. Same goed for VI of course.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Oh! I see what I was doing, I guess I was in the habbit of just counting 3 steps or 4, and not worrying if it crossed over 3 different notes, and in this case it was only 2 (fitting your explanation of the augmented 2nd), F and G#, when it should be 3 F,G#, and A therefore being a third. Is this right??

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

In short - yes. A D minor chord is built of a minor 3rd from D to F and then a major 3td from F to A (which makes the 5th from D to A). Use the same principle for all minor chords.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

It's easy to see how this works a on a keyboard/piano (if you have one).

Start on any key and count up five keys (including the one you started on and both black and white keys) then from here, repeat the process this time 4 notes. These 3 notes form a major chord of the note you started on. If you start again, but count 4 keys then 5 keys, you have a minor chord of your root note.

This situation also highlights the need to remember the notes on the fretboard!

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@niliov)
Trusted Member

Oh by the way!

VI in harmonic minor is major!! So in the key of Am -> F (major) or Fmaj.7 if you want to play the fourtone chord. If you're building chords from scales I'd just go the easy way and skip one note after you add one to the chord so:

VI : F, skip G#, add A, skip B, add C, skip D, add E -> F,A,C,E (Fmaj.7).

There is no minor mode in which VI is a minor chord, it is either:

- maj. 7 (harmonic minor, natural minor/aeolian and phrygian)
- half diminshed/ m7b5 (melodic and dorian)
- dominant (locrian), but this mode is almost never used

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

wow this is confusing stuff, I'll have to sit down tomorrow and take it all in.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It's not that confusing:
A B C D E F G#

A C E = Am
B D F= Bdim
C E G#= Caug
D F A= Dm
E G# B=E
F A C=F
G# B D=G#dim

Note that minor scales are often mixed: for example composers more often then not use the melodic and natural minor together: melodic for ascending, natural for descending. Read this: http://musictheory.net/lessons/html/id43_en.html

ReplyQuote