Clear all

Need help for intro and interlud

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rotten)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok Have you seen the movie O' brother where art thou? Well theres this hymn in it called Go to sleep you little baby. The part when the three sisters seduce the brothers. If youve seen the movie you know what im talking about.

Any way i liked it so much that i found the lyrics and am currently arranging it for guitar. Im writing it in Amaj. i have a nice chordal arangment that parallels the versus, but i need an intro, and an interlude.

The original has 5 verses, but im only going to use 3( 2 back to back then the 3rd preceded by the interlude)

IT looks like its going to go like this.  Intro-Verse-Verse-Interlud-Verse-outro. There is no chourus but thats what makes the song. That and this verse line "You and me and the devil makes three", gives it such a sinister attiude.

Arrangment:
-F#min -Emin-A7-
-C#min7-G#min7-Dmaj-Amaj
-F#min-Dmaj-Amaj

Questions;
   How can i get a nice intro thats the same melodie as the versus?
       what kind of interlude would be good? Scale? appreigos? length?
                Is this a bad arrangment?

Iv been mostly using the Amaj scales and modes so far. if also tried pentatonics but am really getting nowhere on making it sound like the verse arrangment.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  

"You gona bark all day little doggy? Or are you gona bite?"

(@argus)
Reputable Member

Work backwards. Get the melody from the verses and then figure out what key it's in. Then you can use the melody as a guideline as to what chords to use (for instance, treating the first note of each measure as a chord tone).

I've never heard the song before so I can't really help you beyond this. It would be worth your while to write down everything you think of or hear regarding the piece in case your brain seizes up.

ReplyQuote
(@rotten)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Its in Amaj, and i already have an arrangement for the verses i need some melodie for the intro/ interlude. or to clearify a melodic line intro, with maybe a bit of counterpoint.

"You gona bark all day little doggy? Or are you gona bite?"

ReplyQuote
(@argus)
Reputable Member

Then write the melody around the intro chords, targeting chord tones.

ReplyQuote