Clear all

Ok Minor keys

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

OK so I have a question I understand now Major Keys and how they relate and stuff, so what about Minor stuff.

Ok first of all what IS the minor scale ?

2. The dominant of a minor key is the same as the dominant of the major key only minor ?

3. Relative major, same thing as relative minor but backwards, 3rd note in the major scale ?

4. Do minor keys relate the same way as major keys do, for example in a song in C major i can use C F and G scales if I want to for a solo or whatever, can I do the same thing with C minor ( F minor and G minor scales)O

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

1. The minor scale is the same as the major except that the 3rd, 6th & 7th notes are lowered one semitone .
A major = A B C# D E F# G# A
A minor = A B C D E F G A

But there are two other forms of the minor scale which are commonly used.

A harmonic minor = A B C D E F G# A
A melodic minor = A B C D E F# G# A

2. The dominant chord and also dominant key of a minor key can be major or minor depending on which of the above scales you're relating it to. In actual music all 3 forms of the minor scale can be freely used.

Edit oops - got my numbers wrong.
3. The relative minor and major contain the same notes. The relative major starts on the 3rd degree of the minor scale and the relative minor starts on the 6th degree of the major.
C maj = CDEFGABC
A min = ABCDEFGA
Those are relative major and minor of each other

4. I'll pass on this one as I don't agree you can do it with major keys in the first place, let alone minor keys. As I said in the other related thread, any note can be used in music, but there's no justification for using notes of a different key just because the chord of the same name works well in your original key.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks.

Number 4. Maybe for a different sound, or feel? :P

But for that I guess you can just use the notes.

OK so I can use the melodic harmonic or normal minor scales whenever I want ( in a minor key ).

Or I could Idk combine them, but I guess if one has F and the other 2 have F# I guess it wouldn't work, but ok, I can use them freely in a minor key.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yep, in a minor key you can do almost anything. In fact, the natural 3rd is the only note you need to watch out for:

1 = root
b2 = Phrygian (which is a natural minor scale with a b2)
2 = in all minor scales except Phrygian
b3 = what makes a scale minor
4 = in almost all minor scales
#4 = Gypsy minor sound (call it a b5, combine it with b2, and you're in Locrian)
5 = in all minor scales except Locrian
b6 = in most minor scales
6 = in melodic (ascending), Dorian, "mixed" minor, and "jazz" minor
b7 = in natural, Dorian, etc
7 = in harmonic, melodic ascending, "mixed" minor, "jazz" minor

You want to have a pretty solid idea of how your line will move to alter the 2 or 4. But in minor keys, you've got a LOT more freedom to use "outside" tones than in major keys... because nothing is really "outside" one or more of the minor scales, except the 3.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hmm can I also make chords using these harmonic and melodic, like for example, if you were to make, A minor chord with G# as the 7th instead of G..... Wait wouldnt that be a Am maj7.

Ahhh now I see why we use the Major Scale to make most chords, cause we just lower some notes a semitone and we get the minor scale, so the Dominanth 7th chords are kind of the opposite of a Am/ maj 7, because you have A7 and the dominant 7th is found in the minor scale. Hmm I kinda dunno how to explain that but I guess you understand what Im saying, if not Ill explain what I mean.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Hmm can I also make chords using these harmonic and melodic, like for example, if you were to make, A minor chord with G# as the 7th instead of G..... Wait wouldnt that be a Am maj7.

Yes and yes

Not sure what you're getting at with the 2nd part of your post. You can't get A7 from the A minor scale because it contains C# and no form of the minor scale has C#. They all have C, which is why they're called minor scales. (i.e., the 3rd is lower than in major).

You also can't get A7 directly from the major scale, because A7 has G and the A major scale has G#. The only dominant 7th chords you can get directly from either A major or A minor are those built on the 5th (dominant) scale degree, which is E. So E7 (E G# B D) is available from the A major scale and also from the harmonic or melodic forms of A minor. But it's not available from the A natural minor scale as it has G and not G#. From the natural minor you get E G B D, which is Em7.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ok what I mean is, you get Am maj 7 which is a Minor Chord with the Maj 7 note, that Maj 7 note isnt in the Minor Scale ( well it is in the harmonic and melodic but that isnt my point :P)

And an A 7 is a major chord with the dominant 7th and that note isnt in the Major Scale, it is in the minor scale.

Im sure what I just said isnt an important thing to know, at all, I just kinda noticed that o_o and it kinda helps me understand the *why* in chord forming ( like why do we flatten the 3rd to make a minor chord etc etc, now I know. )

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Ok what I mean is, you get Am maj 7 which is a Minor Chord with the Maj 7 note, that Maj 7 note isnt in the Minor Scale ( well it is in the harmonic and melodic but that isnt my point :P)

And an A 7 is a major chord with the dominant 7th and that note isnt in the Major Scale, it is in the minor scale.

Im sure what I just said isnt an important thing to know, at all, I just kinda noticed that o_o and it kinda helps me understand the *why* in chord forming ( like why do we flatten the 3rd to make a minor chord etc etc, now I know. )

Yes - I got the first part about the A min maj7. That's right. That's what you get if making a 7th chord from A harmonic or melodic minor's first note. Using the natural minor you get Am7

But you can't get A7 from the minor - Yes, the G is there but you also need C# to make an A7 chord - and there's no C# there.
You also can't get it from the major because there's no G.
A7 doesn't actually belong to the keys of A or Am. It's the dominant 7th of D major and D minor.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

But there are two other forms of the minor scale which are commonly used.

A harmonic minor = A B C D E F G# A
A melodic minor = A B C D E F# G# A

A quick tweak on this one as the Melodic Minor is different when you're descending:

A melodic minor: A B C D E F# G# A G F E D C B A

The musical director of one of the orchestras I play for says the reason for this is because singers didn't like singing the semitone followed by the tone-and-a-half step from the 5th to the 6th to the 7th (E->F->G) when they sang up the scale so it became E->F#->G#, and then when they were singing down the scale it was easier to go to G then F rather than G# and F# because the initial step down to G# isn't actually a proper semitone (Pythagorean tuning)

He is part of the local coven, and dances naked in the forest at night with witches, but he does have two PhD qualifications, and is a LRAM and a MMus so I tend to listen to what he says.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ohhh so its just at the begining? then its just a normal Minor scale ? ahh ok now I understand why it was so hard to do it... thanks Alan ^^

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote